Re: Where to buy tubing?

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010

      Most hardware stores carry common copper tubing. Thin wall brass tubing is available from many Hobby stores. Hard to advise on size as you don't say what you are trying to build. I'll assume a coil type pop pop engine and for that 1/4" copper is good for a start.

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "i_mad_gination" <kellymadden@...> wrote:

      > Any suggestions on where to purchase copper tubing? And what size works best? Thank you. Newby here.

    • i_mad_gination
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
        Thank you, Daryl.

        I am making a round vessel that spins to create as many ripples (speed) in the water as possible. I do not need the pop sound in this "vessel". It needs to be as small as possible; 2-4 inches diameter. I will likely create an 'S' shaped coil to create the spin motion. Any ideas on this would be welcome.

        See spinning machine at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZ56yNldJQ&feature=related

        I would need it to spin much faster.

        Thank you.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2010
          Below is a simple spinning setup. I think I've even seen these sold as kits.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PAC6quVdmM

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2010
            This is great -nice clean spinning setup! Thank you Zoomkat! And thank you too for the micro-torch info. :)

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2010
              That video clip of the rotating steam candle seems to have been copied for use on a lot of websites. One of our members found it several years back. It disappeared from the site he found it on, so I used friend Google to find it and changed the link to the one currently used in our links section. There probably are sources for kits composed of tea light candles, which cost about ten cents in wholesale quantities, and a piece of tubing which could be used with a series of candles.