R/C test rig photos

  • Weird Jack
    Message 1 of 4 , May 20 5:42 AM
      I am almost embarrassed to show photos of the test rig 'FUGLY ONE'.
      The other photo albums have such lovely models in them. I also see that others have experimented with Spektrum R/C bricks already. I'm not breaking any new ground, just playing around for my own amusement.

      Anyway, I've created a photo album for 'Weird Jack'. It has 3 photos of Fugly One's maiden voyage in my bathtub. 'Fugly One' wasn't actually designed, it was just crudely slapped together. The hull is 8" long and 2.25" wide, and is constructed of 1/16" sheet balsa. The steam plant is from a cheap Indian pop-pop boat. I constricted the tube ends slightly for a bit more thrust.
      The R/C brick is a 3-channel unit pilfered from a Parkzone 'Vapor' airplane. It has 2 micro-servos mounted on it. The battery is a '1S Li-Po' as used in a lot of micro planes and helicopters.
      The rudder is sheet brass about 3/4" square. The model turns in about a 30" diameter. I need to tighten that up, as my plan is for 18" diameter turns...to do figure eights in the bathtub.

      It works! That was all I needed to prove to myself. I got about 20 minutes run-time on one of those little half-ball candles.
      It is too large, I built it large to have room to mess with power and R/C gear positioning. Now that I know what goes where and how it will all fit, I will begin work on 'FUGLY TOO'. Same R/C gear, same steam plant, but it will made of 1/32" sheet balsa, maybe one inch shorter, have a tighter turning radius, and hopefully it will be better looking than the test rig. My plan is to eventually use the 2nd servo to move the heat source fore and aft for a rudimentary throttle control.

      Go ahead...have a look...laugh all you like, I did. IT IS FUGLY!
      .
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20 9:43 AM

        Jack,

        Not ugly at all! As you indicate, it is a "test platform" for your RC ideas. Take a good look at some of the first automobiles or planes and compare them to what we see today. We call them "Classic". Please keep us posted as your project progresses.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Weird Jack" <jack.stinson@...> wrote:

        > I am almost embarrassed to show photos of the test rig 'FUGLY ONE'.
        > The other photo albums have such lovely models in them. I also see that others have experimented with Spektrum R/C bricks already. I'm not breaking any new ground, just playing around for my own amusement.
        >
        > Anyway, I've created a photo album for 'Weird Jack'. It has 3 photos of Fugly One's maiden voyage in my bathtub. 'Fugly One' wasn't actually designed, it was just crudely slapped together. The hull is 8" long and 2.25" wide, and is constructed of 1/16" sheet balsa. The steam plant is from a cheap Indian pop-pop boat. I constricted the tube ends slightly for a bit more thrust.
        > The R/C brick is a 3-channel unit pilfered from a Parkzone 'Vapor' airplane. It has 2 micro-servos mounted on it. The battery is a '1S Li-Po' as used in a lot of micro planes and helicopters.
        > The rudder is sheet brass about 3/4" square. The model turns in about a 30" diameter. I need to tighten that up, as my plan is for 18" diameter turns...to do figure eights in the bathtub.
        >
        > It works! That was all I needed to prove to myself. I got about 20 minutes run-time on one of those little half-ball candles.
        > It is too large, I built it large to have room to mess with power and R/C gear positioning. Now that I know what goes where and how it will all fit, I will begin work on 'FUGLY TOO'. Same R/C gear, same steam plant, but it will made of 1/32" sheet balsa, maybe one inch shorter, have a tighter turning radius, and hopefully it will be better looking than the test rig. My plan is to eventually use the 2nd servo to move the heat source fore and aft for a rudimentary throttle control.
        >
        > Go ahead...have a look...laugh all you like, I did. IT IS FUGLY!
        > .

      • darylcanada73
        Message 3 of 4 , May 21 1:46 AM
          Looks good to me Jack. My first boat was galvanized steel. Now that is ugly. Daryl.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 21 3:15 AM

            Pop-Pop Steamboats member Matt Naiva emailed this link to me.
            I grew up with toys that were controlled by pushing, pulling or pedaling, and radio control was something people did with switches and knobs. Perhaps members who were born sometime after the Jurassic Age can use Matt's link, so here it is.

            <http://shop.ebay.com/model_toy/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340>

            Thanks Matt, from nearly 83 year-old Frank