Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: new to the group

  • Jack Stinson
    Message 1 of 15 , May 17 3:43 AM
      Yep, there are a lot of tiny R/C gear options these days. Most toy departments have something cheap that will work. I am using a Spektrum micro brick because I have a couple laying around. But a lot of the $10-$15 micro cars have actual tie rod style steering and could be used. Also micro airplanes and helis like AirHogs or Revell from Walmart. The only things you need to be careful of with micro cars is that some of them have extremely short range (like 12 feet).....and some inexpensive planes and helis use infrared transmitters which may not work very well in the bright outdoor sunlight.
      My Spektrum receiver/servo brick is about 1"x3/4"x3/8"...including the 2 on-board servos. The battery to power the RX and servos is a single Li-Poly cell, smaller than a stick of gum. All in all, a very tiny package which should be suitable for pop-pop steering.
      The small boats I have with rudders seem to steer fine. I have one that I trim to run in the kitchen sink, tight circles with about 15 minutes running at full speed (flat boiler), then another 10-15 or so at half speed as the candle burns. That one gave me the inspiration to R/C version. I also noticed you could control speed somewhat by moving the candle fore and aft. Seems simple enough to use the 2nd servo to just move the flame.
      What I am really aiming for is a small "control module" that I can pop out of one boat and into another. Save on cost that way, since the Spektrum RX/servo bricks are $60.
      I've seen some photos of gorgeous R/C models powered with flash boilers. The small size and simplicity intrigue me.

      BTW: I was dubbed Weird Jack about 15 years ago by the online slot car community. I manufacture slot car tires as a sideline.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 17 4:54 AM
        Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_rudder and consider the possibility for a unit similar to an outboard engine that could be attached to the transom of any tinplate boat large enough to hold it without sinking.

        Message 3 of 15 , May 17 5:49 AM
          An "outboard R/C" was my initial thought. The rx/servo brick is tiny enough and it has 2 servos (so a kitchen rudder could added to such a unit).
          My own goal is not to retrofit existing tin boats, but to build tiny R/C wooden steam launches 6-9 inches long, designing one micro rx/servo brick module to fit in all of them. Although I would love to drop an R/C brick into a Victoria boat or a Webley Super Cruiser.

          As an aside: I read somewhere online recently of a guy who was going to market an patent and "outboard pop-pop" engine. Now I can't recall where I read it.

          WJ

          Message 4 of 15 , May 17 7:51 AM
            Check your email for a message with attached picture of a boat with an outboard pop-pop engine. The picture was found on Buzz's Boatyard.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 17 8:15 AM
              Ah yes...THAT is where I saw it!  Thanks.