Possible Coil Type Putt-Putt Boat Event in NC

  • WhiteDenims
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2010

      Presently being planned for North Carolina (USA) is a little one day event that MAY include; among other activities, a coil type putt-putt boat building/racing segment.  At this time, the plan entails teams consisting of adults and children that would participate in a variety of different segments throughout the event.

      If a coil type putt-putt boat building/racing segment becomes part of the event:

      1.  Do you think a general-public team could design and build a minimalistic coil type putt-putt boat ready to race in one hour given only a brief introduction of the coil type putt-putt boat operational concept and all of the necessary tools and materials?

      2.  Specifically, what tools and materials would need to be provided to each team to build - in one hour - a minimalistic coil type putt-putt boat?  Please permit this topic to collect a complete list of the associated tools and materials.

    • mogogear2002
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2010
        Great idea..IMHO The money you would throw at having annealed copper tubing for everyone to try to coil up might be a dream not realized.

        The site Space-tin allows you to buy to bulk replacement diaphragm motors for about $3 each--he might make you a deal on a bag full. It could be cheaper and then your public contestants can build the hull and most likely have many more running boats out on the water..and that would be the soought after out-come..

        Sorry to suggest a store bought option. You could demonstrate all that is required to bend a coil type for others t ocontinue at home ?

        Good luck whatever happens !

        greg

        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2010
          Just to follow up on other's post, you may just want to order some engines from spacetin like below. You can get 25 engines for $25. You might want to check with Buzz's boat yard to see if he has any current wholesale deals. Some time back I got a bunch of unpainted regular boats and small tug boats for $1.75 each (looks like they come from India in boxes of 36).

          http://www.spacetin.com/files/Bulk_Pop_Pop_Motors.JPG
          http://www.buzzboats.com/poppop4.htm
          http://www.buzzboats.com/poppop5.htm