Re: new to the group

    Message 1 of 15 , May 16, 2010
      How about "Wired Jack", builder of RC pop-pop boats? Anyhow, that notion for manufacturing R/C sailboats with removable pop-pop engines might make it possible for a new generation of kids to play with pop-pop boats, provide options for parents or guardians, and keep over-zealous dot-gov minions at bay for another decade or two.

      Frank

      Message 2 of 15 , May 16, 2010

        A couple of quick comments;

        First: Welcome Jack and other new (and old) members. New blood is always good. I second Daryl's request. Please post photos and drawings of you past work. If or when you have work in progress please post that as well. You don't have to be "Weird" to be a member of this group but there are times when it sure helps. Right Frank?

        Second: The warnings placed on products seldom protect folks from themselves. Unfortunately common sense is a scarce trait these days. With all of the ambulance chasing lawyers out there folks are enticed to file lawsuits. It keeps lawyers in their materialistic image enhancers. Enough said!

        Pete

        Message 3 of 15 , May 16, 2010
          I've looked at an inexpensive way to impliment RC control of a pop pop boat. In the past I've seen RC cars at walmart for ~$6 that had foward/reverse motor control and left/right steering control using two control sticks. Need to get one and see what could be modified for pop pop boat use.

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Weird Jack" <jack.stinson@...> wrote:

          > I just wanted to say, "Hello".
          > It has been awhile since I've built one of these little boats. The last one was a balsa hulled open launch, 4-coil boiler inside an aluminum film can housing (false boiler) with a brass stack.
          > I recently dug out all my tin pop-pops and go the bug again.
          >
          > My project at the moment?
          > A tiny R/C module that will control my next wood pop-pop. I'm using a Spektrum receiver/servo brick from a Parkzone Vapor indoor R/C plane. It has two micro servos built onto it. One will control the boat's rudder, the second will be for a throttle.
          > I will probably built a test hull to work out the bugs in the R/C, then build a small open launch...perhaps a half-size (9.5") version of Midwest's Fantail launch. Since I have one sitting on my shelf to use as a reference.
          >
          > Thanks for the good reading!
          > Jack

        • darylcanada73
          Message 4 of 15 , May 17, 2010
            Hey Zoomkat.

            There was quite a bit of chat on this forum about RC putt putts starting about Apr 7/09. Also a photo in photos and a video in files. Not hard to do. I used stuff from an RC car. Some decent power and speed is needed as there is no prop wash for the rudder to work with.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 17, 2010
              Had to jump into a little way back machine for this one- video link provided by Richard Jenkins in connection with a project to build a pop-pop boat with a R/C kitchen rudder. He formed a wad of aluminum foil into a cup shape to see if it would make a little pop-pop boat backup, and voila it worked! Two servos would be required for a real Kitchen rudder though and cheap R/C cars usually have two reversible motors for skid-steer control instead of servos and tie rods.

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vNPEPUli0

              > Hey Zoomkat.
              >
              > There was quite a bit of chat on this forum about RC putt putts starting about Apr 7/09. Also a photo in photos and a video in files. Not hard to do. I used stuff from an RC car. Some decent power and speed is needed as there is no prop wash for the rudder to work with.
              >

              > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "zoomkat" <Zoomkat@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've looked at an inexpensive way to impliment RC control of a pop pop boat. In the past I've seen RC cars at walmart for ~$6 that had foward/reverse motor control and left/right steering control using two control sticks. Need to get one and see what could be modified for pop pop boat use.
              > >
              > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Weird Jack" <jack.stinson@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I just wanted to say, "Hello".
              > > > It has been awhile since I've built one of these little boats. The last one was a balsa hulled open launch, 4-coil boiler inside an aluminum film can housing (false boiler) with a brass stack.
              > > > I recently dug out all my tin pop-pops and go the bug again.
              > > >
              > > > My project at the moment?
              > > > A tiny R/C module that will control my next wood pop-pop. I'm using a Spektrum receiver/servo brick from a Parkzone Vapor indoor R/C plane. It has two micro servos built onto it. One will control the boat's rudder, the second will be for a throttle.
              > > > I will probably built a test hull to work out the bugs in the R/C, then build a small open launch...perhaps a half-size (9.5") version of Midwest's Fantail launch. Since I have one sitting on my shelf to use as a reference.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks for the good reading!
              > > > Jack

            • Jack Stinson
              Message 6 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                Yep, there are a lot of tiny R/C gear options these days. Most toy departments have something cheap that will work. I am using a Spektrum micro brick because I have a couple laying around. But a lot of the $10-$15 micro cars have actual tie rod style steering and could be used. Also micro airplanes and helis like AirHogs or Revell from Walmart. The only things you need to be careful of with micro cars is that some of them have extremely short range (like 12 feet).....and some inexpensive planes and helis use infrared transmitters which may not work very well in the bright outdoor sunlight.
                My Spektrum receiver/servo brick is about 1"x3/4"x3/8"...including the 2 on-board servos. The battery to power the RX and servos is a single Li-Poly cell, smaller than a stick of gum. All in all, a very tiny package which should be suitable for pop-pop steering.
                The small boats I have with rudders seem to steer fine. I have one that I trim to run in the kitchen sink, tight circles with about 15 minutes running at full speed (flat boiler), then another 10-15 or so at half speed as the candle burns. That one gave me the inspiration to R/C version. I also noticed you could control speed somewhat by moving the candle fore and aft. Seems simple enough to use the 2nd servo to just move the flame.
                What I am really aiming for is a small "control module" that I can pop out of one boat and into another. Save on cost that way, since the Spektrum RX/servo bricks are $60.
                I've seen some photos of gorgeous R/C models powered with flash boilers. The small size and simplicity intrigue me.

                BTW: I was dubbed Weird Jack about 15 years ago by the online slot car community. I manufacture slot car tires as a sideline.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                  Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_rudder and consider the possibility for a unit similar to an outboard engine that could be attached to the transom of any tinplate boat large enough to hold it without sinking.

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                    An "outboard R/C" was my initial thought. The rx/servo brick is tiny enough and it has 2 servos (so a kitchen rudder could added to such a unit).
                    My own goal is not to retrofit existing tin boats, but to build tiny R/C wooden steam launches 6-9 inches long, designing one micro rx/servo brick module to fit in all of them. Although I would love to drop an R/C brick into a Victoria boat or a Webley Super Cruiser.

                    As an aside: I read somewhere online recently of a guy who was going to market an patent and "outboard pop-pop" engine. Now I can't recall where I read it.

                    WJ

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                      Check your email for a message with attached picture of a boat with an outboard pop-pop engine. The picture was found on Buzz's Boatyard.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                        Ah yes...THAT is where I saw it!  Thanks.