new to the group

  • Weird Jack
    Message 1 of 15 , May 15, 2010
      I just wanted to say, "Hello".
      It has been awhile since I've built one of these little boats. The last one was a balsa hulled open launch, 4-coil boiler inside an aluminum film can housing (false boiler) with a brass stack.
      I recently dug out all my tin pop-pops and go the bug again.

      My project at the moment?
      A tiny R/C module that will control my next wood pop-pop. I'm using a Spektrum receiver/servo brick from a Parkzone Vapor indoor R/C plane. It has two micro servos built onto it. One will control the boat's rudder, the second will be for a throttle.
      I will probably built a test hull to work out the bugs in the R/C, then build a small open launch...perhaps a half-size (9.5") version of Midwest's Fantail launch. Since I have one sitting on my shelf to use as a reference.

      Thanks for the good reading!
      Jack
      Message 2 of 15 , May 15, 2010
        Hi Jack,

        Welcome to the group and thanks for posting. To celebrate the occasion I combined a picture of Daryl's pop-pop sailboat with a picture of a square rigged brig slightly modified by the addition of what was intended to look like a unit pop-pop engine similar to the engines sold by Tony Green Steam in the UK.
        Distributors of imported tinplate pop-pop boats have started adding warnings to the effect that their boats are not intended for use by children, but are sold as collectors items. Total B/S of course, but we do need a source for pop-pop boats designed for use by children who have grown up playing with R/C toys.
        One possibility might be R/C sailboats with removable pop-pop engines that could be inserted for supervised use and locked up somewhere when adult supervisors aren't on hand. Two channels would be used, one for rudder control and one for rotating masts with rigidly attached yardarms, as a simple alternative to using a bunch of servo winches for square sails.

        Best wishes,
        Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Weird Jack" <jack.stinson@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to say, "Hello".
        > It has been awhile since I've built one of these little boats. The last one was a balsa hulled open launch, 4-coil boiler inside an aluminum film can housing (false boiler) with a brass stack.
        > I recently dug out all my tin pop-pops and go the bug again.
        >
        > My project at the moment?
        > A tiny R/C module that will control my next wood pop-pop. I'm using a Spektrum receiver/servo brick from a Parkzone Vapor indoor R/C plane. It has two micro servos built onto it. One will control the boat's rudder, the second will be for a throttle.
        > I will probably built a test hull to work out the bugs in the R/C, then build a small open launch...perhaps a half-size (9.5") version of Midwest's Fantail launch. Since I have one sitting on my shelf to use as a reference.
        >
        > Thanks for the good reading!
        > Jack

      • P M
        Message 3 of 15 , May 16, 2010
          Isn't that a bit overprotecting Frank? I got my first Wilesco steam engine at, I think, age 11 and I never burned the house down yet. The change of getting hurt while playing with a bicycle is for example much higher then playing with a pop-pop, should we put that under supervision also?

          And ofcourse distributors call their little boats collectors items instead of toys, that makes us adults feel more comfortable while playing! And, a collectors item sounds more exclusive than a toy and therefor justifies a higher price.
          Hi also Jack.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 15 , May 16, 2010
            Message 5 of 15 , May 16, 2010
              Welcome...Do we call you Jack or weird?

              Glad you are here we need more pop pop blood. How about a photo of projects past.

              Daryl.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 16, 2010
                How about "Wired Jack", builder of RC pop-pop boats? Anyhow, that notion for manufacturing R/C sailboats with removable pop-pop engines might make it possible for a new generation of kids to play with pop-pop boats, provide options for parents or guardians, and keep over-zealous dot-gov minions at bay for another decade or two.

                Frank

                Message 7 of 15 , May 16, 2010

                  A couple of quick comments;

                  First: Welcome Jack and other new (and old) members. New blood is always good. I second Daryl's request. Please post photos and drawings of you past work. If or when you have work in progress please post that as well. You don't have to be "Weird" to be a member of this group but there are times when it sure helps. Right Frank?

                  Second: The warnings placed on products seldom protect folks from themselves. Unfortunately common sense is a scarce trait these days. With all of the ambulance chasing lawyers out there folks are enticed to file lawsuits. It keeps lawyers in their materialistic image enhancers. Enough said!

                  Pete

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 16, 2010
                    I've looked at an inexpensive way to impliment RC control of a pop pop boat. In the past I've seen RC cars at walmart for ~$6 that had foward/reverse motor control and left/right steering control using two control sticks. Need to get one and see what could be modified for pop pop boat use.

                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Weird Jack" <jack.stinson@...> wrote:

                    > I just wanted to say, "Hello".
                    > It has been awhile since I've built one of these little boats. The last one was a balsa hulled open launch, 4-coil boiler inside an aluminum film can housing (false boiler) with a brass stack.
                    > I recently dug out all my tin pop-pops and go the bug again.
                    >
                    > My project at the moment?
                    > A tiny R/C module that will control my next wood pop-pop. I'm using a Spektrum receiver/servo brick from a Parkzone Vapor indoor R/C plane. It has two micro servos built onto it. One will control the boat's rudder, the second will be for a throttle.
                    > I will probably built a test hull to work out the bugs in the R/C, then build a small open launch...perhaps a half-size (9.5") version of Midwest's Fantail launch. Since I have one sitting on my shelf to use as a reference.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the good reading!
                    > Jack

                  • darylcanada73
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                      Hey Zoomkat.

                      There was quite a bit of chat on this forum about RC putt putts starting about Apr 7/09. Also a photo in photos and a video in files. Not hard to do. I used stuff from an RC car. Some decent power and speed is needed as there is no prop wash for the rudder to work with.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                        Had to jump into a little way back machine for this one- video link provided by Richard Jenkins in connection with a project to build a pop-pop boat with a R/C kitchen rudder. He formed a wad of aluminum foil into a cup shape to see if it would make a little pop-pop boat backup, and voila it worked! Two servos would be required for a real Kitchen rudder though and cheap R/C cars usually have two reversible motors for skid-steer control instead of servos and tie rods.

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vNPEPUli0

                        > Hey Zoomkat.
                        >
                        > There was quite a bit of chat on this forum about RC putt putts starting about Apr 7/09. Also a photo in photos and a video in files. Not hard to do. I used stuff from an RC car. Some decent power and speed is needed as there is no prop wash for the rudder to work with.
                        >

                        > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "zoomkat" <Zoomkat@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I've looked at an inexpensive way to impliment RC control of a pop pop boat. In the past I've seen RC cars at walmart for ~$6 that had foward/reverse motor control and left/right steering control using two control sticks. Need to get one and see what could be modified for pop pop boat use.
                        > >
                        > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Weird Jack" <jack.stinson@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I just wanted to say, "Hello".
                        > > > It has been awhile since I've built one of these little boats. The last one was a balsa hulled open launch, 4-coil boiler inside an aluminum film can housing (false boiler) with a brass stack.
                        > > > I recently dug out all my tin pop-pops and go the bug again.
                        > > >
                        > > > My project at the moment?
                        > > > A tiny R/C module that will control my next wood pop-pop. I'm using a Spektrum receiver/servo brick from a Parkzone Vapor indoor R/C plane. It has two micro servos built onto it. One will control the boat's rudder, the second will be for a throttle.
                        > > > I will probably built a test hull to work out the bugs in the R/C, then build a small open launch...perhaps a half-size (9.5") version of Midwest's Fantail launch. Since I have one sitting on my shelf to use as a reference.
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for the good reading!
                        > > > Jack

                      • Jack Stinson
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                          Yep, there are a lot of tiny R/C gear options these days. Most toy departments have something cheap that will work. I am using a Spektrum micro brick because I have a couple laying around. But a lot of the $10-$15 micro cars have actual tie rod style steering and could be used. Also micro airplanes and helis like AirHogs or Revell from Walmart. The only things you need to be careful of with micro cars is that some of them have extremely short range (like 12 feet).....and some inexpensive planes and helis use infrared transmitters which may not work very well in the bright outdoor sunlight.
                          My Spektrum receiver/servo brick is about 1"x3/4"x3/8"...including the 2 on-board servos. The battery to power the RX and servos is a single Li-Poly cell, smaller than a stick of gum. All in all, a very tiny package which should be suitable for pop-pop steering.
                          The small boats I have with rudders seem to steer fine. I have one that I trim to run in the kitchen sink, tight circles with about 15 minutes running at full speed (flat boiler), then another 10-15 or so at half speed as the candle burns. That one gave me the inspiration to R/C version. I also noticed you could control speed somewhat by moving the candle fore and aft. Seems simple enough to use the 2nd servo to just move the flame.
                          What I am really aiming for is a small "control module" that I can pop out of one boat and into another. Save on cost that way, since the Spektrum RX/servo bricks are $60.
                          I've seen some photos of gorgeous R/C models powered with flash boilers. The small size and simplicity intrigue me.

                          BTW: I was dubbed Weird Jack about 15 years ago by the online slot car community. I manufacture slot car tires as a sideline.

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                            Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_rudder and consider the possibility for a unit similar to an outboard engine that could be attached to the transom of any tinplate boat large enough to hold it without sinking.

                            Message 13 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                              An "outboard R/C" was my initial thought. The rx/servo brick is tiny enough and it has 2 servos (so a kitchen rudder could added to such a unit).
                              My own goal is not to retrofit existing tin boats, but to build tiny R/C wooden steam launches 6-9 inches long, designing one micro rx/servo brick module to fit in all of them. Although I would love to drop an R/C brick into a Victoria boat or a Webley Super Cruiser.

                              As an aside: I read somewhere online recently of a guy who was going to market an patent and "outboard pop-pop" engine. Now I can't recall where I read it.

                              WJ

                              Message 14 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                                Check your email for a message with attached picture of a boat with an outboard pop-pop engine. The picture was found on Buzz's Boatyard.

                                Message 15 of 15 , May 17, 2010
                                  Ah yes...THAT is where I saw it!  Thanks.