The Current Home Page image

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
      Hi All,

      The new home page image was developed by doctoring an images in Pete Bakers CLERMONT - POPULAR MECHANICS.PDF file and adding red lines to show how bread and butter construction might be used to produce pop-pop models of the North River Clermont.
      The blue, green or blue-green lines show the orientation of pieces of corrugated plastic sheet material. To see what the stuff looks like, use Google to search for "corrugated plastic" or go to our links section for "Corrugated Plastic Sheet Material." Depending on the manufacturer, this stuff is available in acrylic, polyethylene and polypropylene versions, and possibly a few more I haven't found yet.
      It would probably be easier to shape the open ends of sheets than the closed sides, so that is one reason why I have shown sheets with open ends at the bow where the stuff would be easier to profile, and at the stern, where a few of the passages could be lef open as propulsion tubes and the others could be closed by squirting expandable plastic foam into them. There's a link to "Dow Great Stuff" foam because It is mentioned on some of the modeling groups where I lurk, and is easy to find in hardware stores and hobby shops.

      Best wishes to Pete, Matt, Uncle Tom Cobbly and All from old Frank
    • WDSmith
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
        Yeahm Frank, it might be but it also might be after you explain what
        bread and butter construction is. No peanut butter involved? bummer! ;-)

        WDS

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 26, 2006
          Hi WD and All,

          The most important thing to know about bread and butter construction is that it lands butter side down if you drop it. For less important things go to: http://home.att.net/~ShipModelFAQ/smf-q004.html

          Best wished to all, old Frank

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 29, 2006
            Hi All,

            A picture of the 1909 Clermont replica has been added for comparison with a canal boat replica at: http://www.lcmm.org/mcclurevr/index.html that provides a virtual tour of the cabin. I think the canal boat cabin provides an indication of what the passenger cabin of the first Clermont might have looked like, with a raised central portion and surrounding areas for storage and sleeping compartments. There were probably Pullman car type bunks behind windows on either side of the rudder. The relative heights of passengers and the upper lift of the hull indicates that this was crawl space, so getting into the bunks probably required a stool or stepladder.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 30, 2006
              Hi, Frank & crew,

              The panoramic image of the cabin on the Louis McClure is most likely
              pretty representative of the crews' quarters on the CLERMONT. I believe
              from my research that the passenger cabins might have been somewhat
              different.

              On the maiden trip of the Clermont the boat was probably "bare bones".
              On the trip there were a few invited guest but no paying passengers.
              After the shakedown some berths were added. I think 12 was the number I
              remember reading. There was also additional decking, paddlewheel boards
              and reinforcing added.

              It wasn't until the 1808 remodelling that creature comforts were added.
              The bigger boat allowed for the addition of a dining area, a lounge and
              the like. I don't think that there were individual cabins per say. I
              think that you are correct. It was probably modelled after the rail car
              berths with common areas. The berths were perhaps around the perimeter
              of the cabins, possibly even bunk style, with curtains to provide some
              privacy. There are no real good accounts so I am reading between the
              line of what I have found. The passenger capacity was about 60.

              As you can imagine on a boat of approx 16 feet wide and 7 ft deep by
              150 ft long minus the space taken by the engine and boiler, there wasn't
              room for very large private spaces.

              The crew probably shared bunks. when the day crew worked the night crew
              slept. This is not unlike arrangements on some of today's non-passenger
              ships.

              Hopefully some of my comments will stimulate some interest and ideas on
              the History of the steamboats. Just remember, much of what I relay is
              conjecture.