Re: Fulton Followers Wheels questions

    Message 1 of 5 , May 12, 2010
      "Fulton Followers" is a Google Group Pete Baker started to develop an electrically powered display model of the mechanism Robert Fulton developed to drive the paddle wheels of his North River steamboat, commonly referred to as the "Clermont."

      Frank

      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2010

        Greg,

        1st WELCOME!

        To expand a little on Frank's answer without taking up too much space. FULTON's FOLLOWERS Is a volunteer group that I organized to build an animated 1/12 scale version of the Boulton & Watt engine that Fulton used on his North River. I conceived of the idea to help demonstrate how Fulton converted the linear motion of the steam engine to rotary motion at the paddlewheels thru bellcranks and connecting rods. I presented the idea to the director at the Clermont State Historic Site. With his acceptance I was on my way. I solicited volunteers thru Groups such as this one. The qualifications were each member had to volunteer their time and materials for the project. Remarkably I was able to put a team of 6 together. We discussed thru the Internet and them divided up the tasks.

        You asked about the hubs. I designed the hubs in CAD from research that I had done. My 3D CAD model & drawing were E-mailed to a fellow in Florida. He created a CNC program and milled the 4 hubs. The lasercut components of the Paddlewheel are replacements for the origiinal pieces that were lost in a flood. The originals were hand fabricated in Cohoes, NY. The replacements were lasercut from 2D CAD templates that I made and E-mailed to a fellow in Deerfield, Massachusetts. The fellow in Cohoes also fabricated 400+ custom square head 2-56 & 0-80 hardware. The engine and hull are being fabricated in Owings, Maryland. The Maryland volunteer and I collaborated on the design of the engine and the hull by passing CAD files back and forth. He concentrated on the engine assembly I designed and developed the hull section. Another fellow in Saugerties, New York designed and built two electronic controllers that with drive the miniature DC gear motor that powers the engine.

        We have in addition had a few companies donate products to be used on the display. New Yoek State constructed a museum quality cabinet and purchased the vitrine (Plastic Dome). I was awarded a $1500 grant that I applied for.

        The project has been very rewarding in that complete strangers have become friends thru the engine project. When completed the display will be donated to the Clermont Site as a permanent addition to their museum sometime in the immediate future.

        Contact me if interested in more details.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "mogogear2002" <gregmoore57@...> wrote:

        > I noticed in the photos section there is a file called "Fulton Followers"
        >
        > There appears to be some laser cut pieces for constructing paddle wheels and buckets.
        >
        > The central hubs are what first draws my attention.Are these a kit?
        >
        > I do have a live steam stern-wheeler boat just starting hull assembly from layers of construction foam sheet epoxied together in sandwich form.
        >
        > This wheel could be modified to be more broad and become the wheel..Anyone want to share more or is this a "one off" ? The center hubs look pre-made?
        >
        > Thanks

      • mogogear2002
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2010

          That is a pretty incredible reply to my question...WOW would be such a dis-service...I have enjoyed a little of the great way people who may never meet can accomplish a non-work related task..read-labors of love.

          Congratulations...and this is meant for every member of the project

          greg

          Also thanks for the welcome..I am relatively new to it...but I am all about steam boats - In all their manifestations.

          greg

          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2010

            Greg,

            Thank you very much. This project has been quite a journey. One that I will never forget. You are correct. It is a labor of love!

            I have met most of the key players in the project. The two NY volunteers and I have gotten together on several occasions. The fellow in Maryland has taken the train and driven to NY. In April My wife and I drove to Maryland. The folks in Florida and Massachusetts have been unable to join in on any of the group visits. I'm hoping that they will be able to venture to the Mid-Hudson Valley when the display is officially turned over to New York State.

            I don't know if you are or want to get involved with FACEBOOK. I have. The following links are for the FRIENDS OF CLERMONT and their FACEBOOK group. They (and I) have posted project photos & videos.

            http://www.facebook.com/#!/ClermontSHS?v=app_2392950137

            http://www.facebook.com/#!/ClermontSHS?v=photos

            Once again, THANKS!

            Pete