Where to buy bulk put-put motors for class project?

  • eknispel@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
      In the past, I have been buying 30-40 motors a year from Kelvin.com ( a really great store for science and technology projects) for our biodiesel putt-putt boats in chemistry class. This year they all came unsoldered when heated!!!

      Does anyone know of another company selling them? Anyone got contacts in India (where Kelvin gets theirs made) so I could go straight to the source?

      Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
      Eric in St. Louis
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
        Hi Eric,

        Go to http://www.spacetin.com/navigation_bars/Boats.html for diaphragm type engines. They are assembled with solder that will melt so you might consider coiled tube engines instead.

        Best wishes, Frank

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2010
          Spacetin below sells 25 engines for $25. Buzz's boatyard has the cheapest regular boats I've seen recently. I bought a bunch of unpainted ones wholesale a while back for $1.75 each, although some of the motors brass diaphrams seem to small corrosion places that leaked. You may want to look at making some of Harrison's aluminum can engines.

          http://www.spacetin.com/navigation_bars/Boats.html
          http://www.buzzboats.com/poppop5.htm
          http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/boat/makeBoat4_07.htm