"Putt The Magic Dragon"

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2010

      Putt putt powered sailboat now in Daryl Canada's photos.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2010
        Posted with apologies to Peter, Paul & Mary

        Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,Little jackie paper loved that rascal putt,And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. oh Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.Together they would travel on a boat with billowed sailJackie kept a lookout perched on putt's gigantic sail,Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came,Pirate ships would lower their flag when putt roared out his name. oh!Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.A dragon lives forever but not so little boysPainted wings and giant rings make way for other toys.One grey night it happened, jackie paper came no moreAnd putt that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain,Putt no longer went to play along the cherry lane.Without his life-long friend, putt could not be brave,So putt that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave. oh!Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee,Putt, the magic dragon lived by the seaAnd frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called honah lee.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2010
          Daryl,

          Beautiful boat with or without the pop-pop....Is it your own design or a mod of an existing?

          Keep posting. I admire your work (play)!

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2010
            Hi Pete

            Thanks. The boat is a kit (I think of the Dragon Class)I built with modifications about 1975 and is strip planked on frames. Last December looking at it all covered in dust and the rigging falling apart I figured it was time to do something about it's condition.The photo shows the result and about all I accomplished in January.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2010
              Thanks for the info.

              Nice restore/retrofit. Add R/C and you'll be good to go!

              I drove down to Maryland last Tuesday to review the final details on our 1/12 scale Fulton engine. With the little DC gear motor we have chosen we decided to go direct drive and eliminate the belt. The hull is plank on frame like youe sailboat. we had originally decided to do 1/8" thk planks. over our discussion we revised to a double layer of 1/16" thk planks offset by a half of plank width. The rational is that if any of the outer joints open up they'll be less conspicuous with the "backer" planks. The unit will be in a lttle museum so these enhancements are both make for a better display.

              If anyone is in the Mid-Hudson Valley area of NY the State's offical installation event is planned for 10:00AM on May 22nd at the Clermont State Historic Site in Germantown, NY. It will be the closure on our two year project.

              regards...

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 23, 2010

                Cross your fingers and make a wish because I just posted an email to the Tippecanoe company at https://www.modelsailboat.com/index.html to ask if they might be interested in manufacturing pop-pop boats. They manufacture wooden models of sailboats ranging from pond sailers to large radio controlled jobs.

                Best wishes, old Frank