Re: RC Wooden Pop-Pop video

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 24 9:30 AM
      Hi Pete and All,

      Our member Richard Jenkins has revisited an earlier suggestion for using a remotely controlled Kitchen rudder to provide steering and both forward and and reverse propulsion for a pop-pop boat. I put up a home page picture of Richard's little wooden boat and a picture copied from a pdf file showing how square tubing can be used without any need for a coil. I have also copied a post regarding his interest in developing a Kitchen rudder and some experimentation to determine if it would work on a pop-pop boat- -

      "Hi everyone,
      A while back I offered the suggestion that a Kitchen rudder might be one way of controlling the speed and direction of a pop-pop boat, and might have potential for a radio-controlled pop-pop. For those who don't know, the Kitchen patent reversing rudder was invented by Jack Kitchen in the early years of the 20th century, and is designed to control the speed and direction of a boat with a constant-speed engine. It consists of a pair of curved vanes surrounding the propeller that can be turned as a unit to steer the boat, or closed to form a cone behind the propeller to deflect the thrust forward and reverse the boat's direction. The boat can also be slowed or stopped by partly closing the vanes. (More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_rudder ) Of course, it was originally intended for a screw propeller, but a pop-pop engine is also a form of constant-speed engine, so the idea of fitting one with a Kitchen rudder seemed to have potential.

      I finally got around to testing the theory by fashioning a cone out of aluminum foil and attaching it to the stern of one of my pop-pop boats, and giving it a run in the kitchen sink. Sure enough, the boat ran backwards. I'd estimate the speed was about 30% of the boat's normal forward speed. It wanted to go in circles rather than run a straight line in reverse, but considering the rudder was roughly formed out of foil and only loosely attached to the boat, that's not too surprising. All in all, the experiment was a success. The next step is a new hull with a proper steerable two-vane Kitchen rudder and radio control.

      Foil cone before it was attached to the boat

      Foil cone attached to the boat

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vNPEPUli0
      YouTube video of the boat running backwards in the kitchen sink, then forwards after the foil cone is pushed aside.

      Richard Jenkins"

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25 4:42 AM
        One of the members of the RCGROUP suggested a Kitchen Rudder....

        Note: I did sign up with the group and invited members interested in RC
        Pop-Pop's to join us. Peraps between the two groupe we can do some collaborative
        experimenting.

        Pete

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vNPEPUli0
        > YouTube video of the boat running backwards in the kitchen sink, then forwards after the foil cone is pushed aside.
        >
        > Richard Jenkins"
        >

        > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <georgeyyy@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I came across these videos this morning on an RCGroup. I did'nt have
        > > time to go thru the registering process to join. There many messages on
        > > RC Pop-Pop's. Worth contacting the group and asking them to link up with
        > > us. Can someone pick up the ball? I will later if no one else wants
        > > tomake that contact.
        > >
        > > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305260
        > > <http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305260>
        > >

        > > RC PUTT PUTT BOAT TWIN ENGINE - put put pop pop, 1/2
        > > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdrCxJ4jfE> (1 min 8 sec)
        > >

        > > RC PUTT PUTT BOAT TWIN ENGINE - put put pop pop, 2/2

      • mogogear2002
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2010

          > I came across these videos this morning on an RCGroup. I did'nt have
          > time to go thru the registering process to join. There many messages on
          > RC Pop-Pop's. Worth contacting the group and asking them to link up with
          > us. Can someone pick up the ball? I will later if no one else wants
          > tomake that contact.
          >
          > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305260
          > <http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305260>
          >

          > RC PUTT PUTT BOAT TWIN ENGINE - put put pop pop, 1/2
          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdrCxJ4jfE> (1 min 8 sec)
          >

          > RC PUTT PUTT BOAT TWIN ENGINE - put put pop pop, 2/2
          > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDTkJJLaF8> (1 min 24 sec)
          >
          > Link and videos should be added here!
          >
          > Have a great day!
          >
          > Pete

          Here is a video that a Steam friend -Bernhard - made of a nice scale pop pop wooden launch -he and I are members on the Mamod site and RCGroups as they now have a steam area

          I hope I can post a link to his video of his boat here I am not that familiar with Yahoo groups protocol...

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbrObmLQcI

          Bernhard is a master of weathering and scale, period details. He is from Denmark. His other videos of steam boats show off his ability.

          cheers

          greg
        • Daryl Foster
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2010
            Greg,  Welcome. Good to see you over here too. I think it looks like Indiana Rog driving Bernhard's boat and he appears to have gone to sleep. Daryl.

            > I came across these videos this morning on an RCGroup. I did'nt have
            > time to go thru the registering process to join. There many messages on
            > RC Pop-Pop's. Worth contacting the group and asking them to link up with
            > us. Can someone pick up the ball? I will later if no one else wants
            > tomake that contact.
            >
            > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305260
            > <http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305260>
            >

            > RC PUTT PUTT BOAT TWIN ENGINE - put put pop pop, 1/2
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsdrCxJ4jfE>  (1 min 8 sec)
            >

            > RC PUTT PUTT BOAT TWIN ENGINE - put put pop pop, 2/2
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoDTkJJLaF8>  (1 min 24 sec)
            >
            > Link and videos should be added here!
            >
            > Have a great day!
            >
            > Pete

            Hey Pete

            Here is a steam friend- Bernhard's pop pop boat made to look like a old wood launch..Bernhard is a RC Groups member and also over on the Mamod site I am from.

            One of his youtube video's

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HbrObmLQcI

            cheers

            greg

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                pop-pop-steamboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
                pop-pop-steamboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • mogogear2002
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2010
              Daryl and Pete

              I am a member over on RCGROUPS--I will post a link to this site over in the steam section of RCG extensive site..That is where the most steam action is..even though it is sprinkled throughout.

              Daryl- you are the new fellow over at Mamod( we invite more here to check us out also) why don't you also throw out the link to this Yahoo group over on the steam boat /launches section? Dual members will serve both groups well I bet.

              I also lurk around on Paddleducks and Model Boat Mayhem and RcGroups, but find that so far the jolly and chatty group at Mamod & Other steam feel like family after 3 years.

              Once again -- cheers to all here

              greg