Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Food coloring in a pop pop boat

  • Arno
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
      Very nice effect,you can do it with multiple boats and colors.....sort
      of that US airforce stuntteam in your bathtub :)

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2010
        I gotta steal Slater's "Warning" line for this one.

        How about a foam flying RC "boat" beter known as an Amphibian?

        http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma1169.html

        prb

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2010
          Hi Pete,

          That RC model airplane doesn't look like an alligator, frog, turtle or other amphibious creature and it doesn't appear to have any wheels that would be required for an amphibious model airplane. If it's too late to cancel your order, try to convert this thing into a pop-pop boat in order to find out if a foam pop-pop boat would burn or melt.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
            Wheels are in the retracted position....The wheel hatches have good SEALS. Does that make it an ampib? They claim that this plane can land and take off on grass, short grass.

            Foam Pop-Pop: Most of the old steamboats had bricks around their boilers. I think that I read that some even had water between the wooden hull and the fire box. A thin fireproof box beneath the flame on a Pop-Pop would serve the same purpose. Ceramic and silica materials might work. http://www.avsind.com/backedslittape.html

            prb

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11, 2010
              The itch to fly a toy airplane made of foam could be satisfied for lower cost without going out to look for a lake or pond, with a Palm Z Micro Airplane by going to http://tinyurl.com/rdrnvn to buy one. The magnetic rudder thing is interesting because of the possibility for using this kind of control on a pop-pop boat. Tim's website has a lot of interesting stuff so bookmark it for future references.

              ttfn, old Frank

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 22, 2010
                I used a previously used home page picture to show a unit pop-pop engine and wooden hull manufactured by Tony Green Steam in the UK with features similar to those Pete mentioned- water between a wooden hull and firebox and a fireproof box beneath the flame.