Re: Want to get something made?

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
      Hi Kenneth,

      That question is easy to answer. For $1500 or less you could buy a bunch of inkjet printers that are sold for less than it costs to manufacture them. What the manufacturers lose on printers, they get payed back several times over for ink cartridges that are getting more expensive because of all the stuff that's required to make them seem empty before they are not and prevent them from being refilled with fountain pen ink. That answer will probably generate a lot of questions from members too young to know anything about fountain pens.

      Best wishes, Frank

    • kenneth@whitedenims.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 27, 2010
        The $1500 or less CNC machine would need to be able to cut something.

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
            Frank,

            We go back to B4 fountain pens. Remember the stick pens and desk ink wells in school?

            prb

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
              David,

              An interesting story. Thanks...

              Our son did some early research work on 3D printing at MIT as a grad student. Part of the process was cannabalizing an EPSON inkjet printer.

              Look where the process is now.

              Check out the attached Blog approx 1/3 of the way down. I posted comments correcting some of the details. Joris asked for info He extracted several piece and dropped a stitch or tow in trying to weave them together.

              http://www.shapeways.com/blog/blog.php?url=archives/382-The-Fulton-Engine-Project-uses-3D-printing.html&serendipity[csuccess]=true

              Shapeways is a startup company located in Holland. They donated 3D printed parts for the bell mounting on our project.

              prb

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                Pete,

                There were fountain pens then but we weren't allowed to use them at school. Crappy things with steel tips that blotted and scratched. I had a ball tip thing that I would use instead when the teacher wasn't looking. I was so sick the year I started school that my mother took me from our little town in north Texas to stay with relatives in Brazoria county which is almost as far south as Texas goes. She taught me how to read that winter, so when I had to repeat first grade next year I would read the newspaper at home before going to school to read about a couple of kids and their damned pony.

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 28, 2010
                  How was it reading by candle light? LOL

                  The story that goes with it is my visit to my elementary school from 50 yrs ago. A group of my classmates and I went back to our school while it was in session. We split up into groups of 4 and went around to each classroom for question and answer session, rotating every 15 minutes or so. In one of the classrooms I visited a little girl, in all seriousness, asked how it was studying by gas lights. We all got a chuckle. TRUE STORY!

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 2, 2010
                    That was sarcasm Pete.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 2, 2010
                      You messed up your sentence structure. It should have read "Was that sarcasm Pete"?

                      My first drafting was done on a 24 x 30 inch drawing board. You used a "T" square for horizontal lines and a triangle for vertical lines. Circles were done with a wooden pencil compass. Pencils were not unlike the good old No. 2's. The vellum was fastened to the board with thumbtacks. You sharpened the pencil with a file that was thinned and hooked on the end. Can you guess what for? Yup, the hooked file was used to remove the thumb tacks.

                      Pete

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2010
                        Hi Pete,

                        Mine was done pretty much the same way. Crappy pens with screws for adjusting line width were dipped into India ink to trace drawings onto onion skin paper.
                        Blue prints were made by placing ink tracings over blue paper and and putting drawing boards with blue paper and tracings on a flat roofs and hoping that it wouldn't rain. Blue prints were blue then, and lines, inkblots and bird droppings on onion skin paper would show up as white lines and blobs on prints.