Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Ironclad pop pop boat idea

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12 9:50 AM
      Good thinking Zoomkat.

      This engine would be good with wood too.
      http://www.tonygreensteammodels.co.uk/acatalog/Pop_Pop_Engines.html
      The one I have is black.

      Needs a hole in the keel for the pipes, and then sealing down.

      The fire is totally enclosed and sits in a water-cooled tray.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 12 8:11 PM
        Zoomcat,

        Looks like you're onto something! Die cut or laser cut wood are options. I'd lean towards laser as the pieces I had done by Ed fillion were 3/16 thick basswood, just about right for the hull. the superstructure could be thinner.

        The engine linked by David would be more of a challenge but still doable.

        If you come up with a sketch I can probably work in a CAD twmplate for you. Started on a Ø12 rotary Steam engine project with the Rumseian Society. Will be put in a rral boat when completed.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13 12:52 AM
          Hi Pete and All,

          One of the phlatforum members has used his phlatprinter to cut 1/4" thick Medium Density Fiberboard by programming his machine to do multiple passes over the same path. Mark Carew has sold 125 kits for these machines and is currently developing kits for vacuum forming machines and smaller and more powerful machines to cut wood, plastics and nonferrous metals. One of the recent discussions has been about electro-forming as a method for converting polystyrene foam patterns into things made of copper, nickel or aluminum. I mentioned the possibility that pop-pop engines and hulls might be made this way,
          of course.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22 4:28 PM
            Just as a followup for wooden pop pop boats, maybe being able to simply and easily build a coil engine similar to below to be used in the wooden boats. I don't know the performance level of the below engine, but it should last a long time to off set the added expense of the time and materials. Being able to turn tight coils like this would be the challange. It might be able to be produced by a mom n' pop wood toy shop.

            http://www.stanleysteamers.com/phantomboats/images/phantom5.jpg