Re: simple phlat boat design

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 24, 2010
      I can relate to the Albemarle...

      A friend, Carl Kriegeskotte produced a documentary for the History Channel called "The Most Daring Mission of The Civil War". He used his own steam launch in the movie. His son played Lt. William Cushing
      which is interesting because his mother is related to the Cushing family. Posted PIX...

      Here's acouple of links:

      http://www.gkdesign.us/projects/videos/broadcast/civil_war.htm

      http://www.livinghistoryweekend.com/cushing.htm

      The gkdesign shows a nice cross-section of the engine area. The general shape of the Albemarle would also lend to Phlatprinting.

      The offer is open for help in designing a pop-pop if there are any takers.

      Pete

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

      > Hi Pete and All,
      >
      > I put up another home page picture to show a model of a Civil War ship, CSS Albemarle. Go to http://tinyurl.com/y8s5u4z for information about its short life, death and resurrection. It could have a coiled tube engine similar to the Tony Green Steam unit engine and a metal funnel attached to a superstructure that would be lifted to provide access to the engine and anything else inside, like R/C steering.
      >
      > Old Frank
      >

      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <georgeyyy@> wrote:
      > >
      > > This "Wacky Lassie" could be scaled & modified for a Phlatprinter pop-pop boat hull.
      > >
      > > http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Wacky_Lassie/Wacky_Lassie.htm
      > >
      > > Pete

    • Don & Marsha Munsey Jr
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 24, 2010

        My Friends,

        A sister ship to the CSS Albemarle, the CSS Neuse, is preserved to this day in Kinston, NC.

        Here are a couple of links for the park & the association that preserved the ship.  The last time I was there, the gift shop had ¼” to the foot scale drawings of the ship for sale.

        http://www.nchistoricsites.org/neuse/neuse.htm

        http://www.cssneuse.net/

        Enjoy!

        Donald E. Munsey, Jr.          dmunseyjr@...

        S/Sn42, Hn42 & Hn16 - Appalachian river logging modeler

        Virginian Railway and Big Sandy & Cumberland Railroad fan

        Living in UpperRightCorner of Louisiana

        CopperSmith & Bonsai enthusiast

        NOT sent from a Blackberry (or any other fruity device) - I can't afford one!

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 24, 2010
          Don,

          Thanks. I ran across that name before during my many searches. I may even have the site linked to my favorites. Looks like a place to put put on a "to visit" list.

          Pete

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 26, 2010
            Hi Don & Marsha, Pete and All,

            I may have added plans for the card stock model shown as the home page picture. It was designed by Magnus Mørk, a talented designer who posted free models of several civil war era ships on the Google discussion group, Papermodels II prior to his death last year.
            Look in the files section for a file titled CSS ALBEMARLE.rar and convert it to a pdf file if you can, because my macintosh is not able to open stuffed Microsoft stuff.

            Best wishes, old Frank

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 26, 2010
              Success!
              CSS Albemarle cardstock plans have been added to files section.

              Cautiously downloaded software that could open a .rar file. I extracted the zipped files and then combined into a single 6 page set of plans with free PDF software.

              Home page photo was cut and pasted from plans.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 28, 2010
                There's a common program called WinRAR that will compress and decompress
                RAR format. This format was popular on newsgroups and some mailing
                lists, originally because it didn't expand as much when encoded for
                7-bit transmission (which is both e-mail and newsgroups) as ZIP. I
                wouldn't be very concerned about RAR format, but perhaps someone can
                reupload the file in ZIP archive format, which is more universal.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 29, 2010
                  Hi Donald,

                  I have "silently observed" that most software offered as "free" is about as free as the cheese that trips a mouse trap. Our Pete is Mr. Persistence Personified. He found a way to get our pop-pops group restored from archival stuff after it was deleted, so I knew he would find a way to turn a bunch of rar designs for paper ironclads into pdf files that might restore some of the pop-popularity that pop-pop boats had a long time ago when I was a kid and pop-pop boats could be found in some of the general merchandise stores that were located at intersections of unpaved country roads. Most of those stores didn't have electricity or wires for telephones, but they did sell peanut butter and crackers and some sold tin wind-up toys and pop-pop boats.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 29, 2010

                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                     Our Pete is Mr. Persistence Personified.

                    My wife would say "Stubborn"!

                    I have extracted ALL of of the Cardstock Files. They are all individual pages. To make it easier for everyone I will combine into a single PDF document for each model as time allows. I hope that some of you will take on the challenge and convert one of the boats into a Pop-Pop.

                    ENJOY!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 30, 2010
                      Hi Pete,

                      We need to find somebody to produce models or kits based on those cardstock designs. Maybe Ed Fillion (Deerfield River Laser at
                      edfillion448@... or the proprietor of Frenchman River Model Works
                      at http://www.frenchmanriver.com/ would consider a venture of this kind.

                      Frank

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2010
                        P/S to previous message,

                        Links to Deerfield River Laser and Frenchman River Model Works have been added in the links section. If anybody knows of other companies that might be interested in selling models or kits for pop-pop boats designed to look like real steamships, please add a link, or suggest it, in a post to the group.

                        Old Frank

                        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Pete,
                        >
                        > We need to find somebody to produce models or kits based on those cardstock designs. Maybe Ed Fillion (Deerfield River Laser at
                        > edfillion448@... or the proprietor of Frenchman River Model Works
                        > at http://www.frenchmanriver.com/ would consider a venture of this kind.
                        >
                        > Frank
                        >
                        > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <georgeyyy@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll"
                        > > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > Our Pete is Mr. Persistence Personified.
                        > >
                        > > My wife would say "Stubborn"!
                        > >
                        > > I have extracted ALL of of the Cardstock Files. They are all individual
                        > > pages. To make it easier for everyone I will combine into a single PDF
                        > > document for each model as time allows. I hope that some of you will
                        > > take on the challenge and convert one of the boats into a Pop-Pop.
                        > >
                        > > ENJOY!
                        > >
                        > > Pete

                      • Tony
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2010
                          {:^)

                          I can imagine what my wife would call me at the moment, if asked about my latest hobby...

                          As it happens,I'm looking for a hull design into which to fit my first engine (a Slater-style diaphragm), having removed it from the sardine tin in which it was tested, as well as whatever comes next - I anticipate these designs eagerly !

                          Meanwhile, engine III is mounted in a plywood boat which my daughter is lovingly painting with gloss paint...

                          Take care,
                          - Tony -

                          Live, Love, Laugh & Learn

                          > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll"
                          > <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > Our Pete is Mr. Persistence Personified.
                          >
                          > My wife would say "Stubborn"!
                          >
                          > I have extracted ALL of of the Cardstock Files. They are all individual
                          > pages. To make it easier for everyone I will combine into a single PDF
                          > document for each model as time allows. I hope that some of you will
                          > take on the challenge and convert one of the boats into a Pop-Pop.
                          >
                          > ENJOY!
                          >
                          > Pete

                        • Don & Marsha Munsey Jr

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 30, 2010
                              Hi Don & Marsha,

                              My post was based on the possibility that somebody who sells laser cut kits might be interested in developing kits for pop-pop ironclads and blockade runners. The ironclads would have removable casemates to provide access to coiled tube engines mounted on wooden slabs that would extend just above the waterline the way ironclad hulls did. Open gun ports would provide air and metal funnels mounted above the engines would generate circulation by removing hot air and smoke in much the same way that fires have been used to draw fresh air into coal mines.

                              Best wishes, Frank

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 30, 2010

                                I've worked with Ed Fillion on my Fulton Engine Project. He's a hell of a nice guy. He was a member of Pop-Pop but resigned as he didn't want to take time from his business, model railroad kits, with another interest. I put some of Ed's work up as the home page picture. the stack of "sticks represent two 15" diameter paddlewheels. The original set was all milled and waiting to be painted and assembled. In July of last year they were lost in a flood. There was 4'-5' of water in my friend's basement. When the water receded he was faced with 6" of mud & silt. He lost $1000s in model engine collections, tools and R/C aircraft. We lost all of the paddlewheel pieces an 500+ pieces of custom fabricated miniature sq head nuts & bolts. I replaced the hardware with off the shelf hex head. I knew of no one who could replace the milled paddlewheel parts. Then Ed came to mind. I contacted him to see if he could laser cut the pieces. After a few exchanges I sent him a CAD file for each shape so he could experiment. The samples were exceptable. We agreed on a price. He worked my job into his schedule is support of our engine project. What you see is what I got, 36 crescents, 36 spokes & 36 buckets (paddles - not shown). I'll post a couple more photos in the photo section to show how things went together.

                                I honestly think that Ed wants to stay focused on his rail kits. You can contact him and ask again. Nothing ventured....

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 30, 2010
                                  frankmcneilll wrote:
                                  > Hi Donald,
                                  >
                                  > I have "silently observed" that most software offered as "free" is
                                  > about as free as the cheese that trips a mouse trap.

                                  Some of us remember when most software you could download was genuinely
                                  freeware -- this was back in the days before so many companies found
                                  ways to make money on the Internet by selling advertising or collecting
                                  information to sell to advertisers (to let them "target" their
                                  advertising). WinRAR is an example of true freeware, as was PKZIP back
                                  in DOS days. Yes, lots of so-called freeware today is either
                                  advertising laden, installs spyware, or is actually only a demo version
                                  with critical features disabled -- but much isn't. Best example I can
                                  call to mind: Open Office, a free office suite written in Sun Java,
                                  available for Windows, Mac, and several Linux flavors, and the only
                                  advertising in the entire suite is the link to Sun Microsystems that
                                  shows in the splash screen.

                                  Yes, you need to read the information before you install anything --
                                  just like you need to read the ingredients before you eat something
                                  unfamiliar (especially if you have severe food allergies, diabetes, high
                                  cholesterol, etc.). That doesn't mean you should stop downloading
                                  legally, any more than you should stop eating -- just that you need to
                                  be careful, as with everything else in this overcrowded world.

                                • Don & Marsha Munsey Jr
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 31, 2010

                                    Pete,

                                    I agree with you about Ed – He’s great to work with!  He has cut a few (tug, 2 barges & small engine house) of his 1:48 kits in 1:64 for my modeling at a very reasonable rate.

                                    I think that the best bet, as you did, would be to provide him with a set of CAD drawings, ready to load into his laser.  Again I agree, he can’t say know until someone asks him!

                                    Keep in touch.