Re: New member West Midlands, UK

  • jeanyves_renaud
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
      Hi Tony,
      I apologize for answering to Arno instead of you in my previous message, but I see that you read it.
      You have not to be staggered by the range of experiments the members of this group are involved with... As wrote Frank, this is the any topic, no rules and not much discussion group where the development of pop-pop steamboats and engines is occasionally mentioned. But the forum is active for years and we are many members. If you divide the content of the forum by the number of members, the result is not much. But in fact we are a few members very active on the pop-pop boats.
      Though I worked for years in the shipbuilding industry I'm not really interested by the hulls. I focus mainly on engines. I try to answer questions when I can. Some of my works are on this forum. If you don't find what you want, you could find some more information on www.eclecticspace.net . It is not my own website (I have none), but it is a place where most of my papers are available. It is a French website, but the pop-pop documents exist also in English. (Click on "pop-pop" and then on the British flag). And if you want to see big engines running, go to www.eclecticspace.net/doc . There are videos of two big engines: ID23.5 and ID40mm.
      Now, if you are looking for performing engines, look at Daryl's ones for rigid engines (without diaphragm), and Slater's ones for very cheap diaphragm engines. They are the best I know.
      Good reading!
      Jean-Yves

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
        Hi Tony, Jean-Yves and all,

        A new source for pop-pop hulls is evolving on the Phlatforum where several members are building radio-controlled boats and planes made of expanded polystyrene foam. Foam is probably not the best choice for pop-pop boats, but a phlatprinter for cutting wood and nonferrous metals is in the works and wood plus nonferrous metals suggest that a lot of hulls for pop-pop boats will be coming down the pike within a year, or perhaps two.

        old Frank

      • Tony
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2010
          Jean-Yves {:^)

          My main interest is also in the engines themselves - I now have a coil type on the bench, working on a nice powerful burner to go with it. Sadly I don't have a source of fine tubing yet, so it needs to be big to work this 8mm stuff...

          I really like Daryl's work, but doubt I will ever create anything that detailed ! Slater's diaphram engine is the one I've started with - so simple to build ! I'm now finding the advantages of using silicone for its flexibility {:^)

          I'm looking forward to building a 'hammerhead' - the simplicity appeals to me, but again I'll have to come up with a good burner !

          So, what causes a pop pop to not get running properly ?....

        • jeanyves_renaud
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010

            Hi Tony,

            What causes a pop-pop to not get running properly? If you are not waiting for a performing engine I use to say that any pipe closed at its upper end can run as a pop-pop engine (a silent one). However, depending on the size and the materials it can require a more or less accurate heating power.

            For some of my stationary pop-pop engines I used electrical heating. And they all ran. But I must say that for some of them the heating power window is very narrow and impossible to get with a flame.

            What is to be taken into consideration?

            Boiler volume

            Boiler material

            Thickness

            Diaphragm or no

            Pipe diameter (sometime not equal all along the pipe)

            Pipe length (for each diameter)

            Bends

            Slopes

            Pipe material(s).

            Nozzle or not

            Heating power

            Length of the pipe that is immersed

            …

            A pop-pop engine is a combination of all that. Only one minor change can "destroy" the working conditions of a good engine. In the other way it is difficult to say that you have to do this or that to improve an existing engine. The only method up to now is trial and error.

            Another thing to know: If an engine runs but not for long, the problem could be a leakage. A leakage which could be invisible with water, but that exists for air and steam.

            And last thing: A stationary pop-pop engine is a one mass resonator. But if the engine is a light one and if you fit it onboard a very light hull it becomes a two mass resonator with a different frequency. This same engine could work easily in one case and not in the other one.

            Take care

            Jean-Yves

            P.S: I like your "Live, Love, Laugh & Learn"

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
              Hi Tony and Jean-Yves,

              The same topics come up every now and then. This one seems to be a repetition of Message #498 posted by Vance Bass about a boat that ran better with less heat