Re: 2010

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 12, 2010
      Hi Pete, David, Daryl and All,

      My hope for 2010 is that it will be remembered as the year when a company somewhere in North America tooled up for production of small working models with the simplest of all steam engines, a provision for remote control and something to make them unsinkable.

      Best wishes, Old Frank

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
        Hey Frank,

        I'll second that!

        You have been pursuing this dream for quite a while. Persistence usual pays off. I wish that I could help you more. I've been pursuing a couple of dreams of my own. Just about realized the Fulton Engine one.

        Will be consulting on the Rumsey Rotary engine project this weekend. Nick is driving up from Wesy Virginia to go over drawings and ideas to build.

        Next month I'll be in Maryland to consult with David on a couple of last minute mods we want to make on the Fulton Engine. Lots of satisfaction in bringing all these people and their ideas together.

        Pete

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
          Hey Pete,

          Do you have drawings, CAD or otherwise, of Fulton's NR boat or plans the string pulled paddle wheeler sold by Hobbies of Dereham? Pop-pop engines would probably melt eps foam coated with StyroSpray, but non popping boats propelled by tiny motors could be based on plans for the North River or string pull paddle wheelers. The next machine to come down the pike for the Phlatprinter company will be able to cut wood and thin nonferrous metals. Currently though there are 112 foam cutting machines that might produce parts for kits based on any plans for non-popping boats. These guys have sources for cheap motors, batteries and servos that could be modified for use in model boats.
          More later, the great grandson just got here...

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
            Frank,

            I'm working on a NR version of the Dereham kit in the group photo. It hasn't been a priority so it's a ways from being done. If you think it might be a go with the Phlatprinter folks I can move it up. With the restriction on material thickness the design would have to be a multiple layer sandwich construction. With CAD that's not an issue, mostly thought process.

            If you and they (or anyone else) are interested let me know.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
              Add CAD image as part of design iteration for "Frank's Boat".

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
                Hi Pete,

                How much difference will there be between your NR version of the Dereham kit and the original version shown in the Hobbies of Dereham photo? Phlatprinters work well for cutting flat parts from sheets of rigid eps foam, but would not work as well for boilers and the cylinders, gears and linkages on Fulton's NR Boat. Some phlatforum members produce one-off scratch-built models but we would probably get more action with drawings for bread and butter constructions that could provide fair surfaces by trimming the sharp edges of bread and butter assemblies.

                This is a copy of a suggestion I posted on the phlatforum a while back:

                Suggestion for folks who live in the UK. or elsewhere-

                Post by frankmcneilll on Sat Nov 14, 2009

                Hi All,

                Go to http://tinyurl.com/yt9bep to see a photo of a string pull toy boat that can be built using plans sold by Hobbies of Dereham in the UK. This looks like something that might be made of foam and equipped for propulsion and RC control.

                Best wishes, Frank

                Re: Suggestion for folks who live in the UK. or elsewhere-

                Post by theothers on Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:48 am

                Thanks for the link Frank. This boat does look like it could be made out of foam and hooked up for R/C. This would be a great project!

                Mark & Trish Carew

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
                  Look in photo folder "Frank's Boat". I have the overlay and the trace by itself.

                  I've just barely started. I scanned their plans and imported into Keycreator. I the put "tracing paper" down and started adding my geometry. I'm tracing to true up their sketches. When I'm satisfied with them. I will start pulling and stretching and modify to develop the NR. My plan is to take some liberties with the emgine hardware etc. accommodate a metal compartment for a pop-pop engine.

                  Perhaps we can work something out with Mark & Trish. Time is at a premium right now. I have more ideas & projects than time. Looking towards retirement so that will free me up perhaps next year.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 13, 2010
                    Thanks Pete,

                    Take your time with this. If anybody on the phlatforum was really interested in developing code for cutting parts for the string pulled boat, they could buy the Hobbies of Dereham plans and work it out for themselves.