The possibility for converting paper boats into pop-pop boats

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 15, 2009
      Hi All,

      David Boddie is the vice president of a company that develops and manufactures RTV urethane products. A product called StyroSpray can be sprayed or brushed onto things made of styrofoam, wood, papermache etc. to provide them with hard waterproof coatings. It adheres to foam to a degree that made me believe it might adhere to dried ink on inkjet printouts of card stock paper models and remain after the StyroSpray cured and the printout paper was removed by wetting it and rubbing or brushing. I contacted David via email to get his opinion and received this reply:

      "Hello Frank,

      StyroSpray seems to be working very well for foam aircrafts. Our product was used last year to coat a 3/4 scale Lockheed Electra prop plane for the Amelia Earhart movie. We are currently working on a big alien space craft for the Predator Planet movie (sequel to the original Arnold movie) but we can't talk about the project at this time. We have found something very interesting, StyroSpray will transfer images off a printed transparency. If you go to the office supply and buy the transparent sheets of plastic used to print images for overhead projectors you can transfer off images. I print the image using my desk jet printer in color, then I lay the plastic sheet on top of foam coated with StyroSpray. When the StyroSpray cures I can later peel off the plastic sheet and the image transfers on to the coated foam surface.We can harden card stock paper very well, our stuff is working great on paper and paper mache.We have a new video on the StyroSpray web page demonstrating the coating of paper construction. Works great, hard, no bubbles.

      David"

      Go to http://www.industrialpolymers.com/ for David's website

      Best Wishes, Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2009
        Hi Frank,

        You are alive and well! Missed your comments and sometimes dry humor.

        This StyroSpay seems like it has potential for your pet project of paper Pop-Pops.

        Perhaps some samples are a possibility.

        There are template out there for paper Pop-Pops. Most likely even here at Pop_pop. All you need now are sharp scissors, a good paper, waterproof adhesive and some StyroSpray.

        I'd say give it a try. That's all it takes!

        regards,

        Pete

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2009
          Hi Pete and All,

          That isn't exactly how the conversion would work. According to David Boddie, printing would be done on plastic transparencies and transferred to StyroSpray sprayed or brushed on expanded polystyrene foam. I am alive, but not necessarily well because my daughter is a schoolteacher who generously shares everything she catches from sick kids. I was offline for about a month because my wife wanted better TV service than the local cable company provides. The options would have been a satellite dish or a combination TV and Internet service the AT&T company peddles. I was told I would have to cancel my DSL connection before the AT&T stuff could be installed. I wasn't told though that I would have to wait several weeks before they could send somebody out to the west side of Houston to install several tin boxes with lights that flash green when stuff in the boxes is working and red when it is not. One of the boxes has a wireless connection with my computer and the computer has a wireless connection with a keyboard and a mouse. Back in the good old days I could look for loose wires when stuff didn't work, but how can I look for loose wires now when there aren't any wires to look for?

          Old bewildered Frank

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 15, 2009
            As a workaround, in the past I've somewhat water proofed paper using clear krylon spray paint. For larger boats there is a plastic craft board that is similar to corrugated cardboard that might be useable. One might find sheets at the usual craft stores (I've got a 18"x24" piece with a sale sign printed on it). I think the below folding boat may be made of this material.

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQHTmEjuxGs
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 16, 2009
              Hi zoomkat,

              In theLinks section see Folder titled "FILM, CORRUGATED PLASTIC and SYNTHETIC PAPER for info re: Corlite, Coroplast and Diversi-Plast. Several phlatforum members use their phlatprinters to cut Coroplast and there are a few discussion groups for people who build RC model planes and boats made of corrugated plastic.