Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: ACW Era Engines????

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 14, 2006
      Hi Dan and all,

      Thanks for your post Dan. I asked David Hathaway for information about the use
      of copyrighted material and pasted his reply to the end of the message you read.
      He hasn't objected to the use of his plans as templates for plastic models, so he
      probably wouldn't mind if individual modified his plans for personal use. The only
      use that might get somebody in trouble would be to use copyrighted material for
      commercial applications. David said that would probably be okay, if it was done
      cooperatively with a publisher of paper model plans. Bear in mind that the model
      shown on the home page is a waterline model. One of David's friends developed
      hull lines that can also be downloaded for display models. Another possibility is
      described in a file with a plan I downloaded from the origami magic company's
      website. There is a Yahoo group called origamiboats that builds frame-less steel
      and aluminum boats. You might want to join the group to see how they do it.

      Best wishes, Frank

      On 10/14/06, Dan <grauwulf@...> wrote:

      Greetings All,

      You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all the links. I only get online on
      none working weekend mornings so I am sure these will keep me busy for
      awhile.

      Great model/image of the HMVS CERBERUS! I love those breastwork
      monitors. I am always amazed at the courage of the crews that took
      those ironclads out to sea. During the Spanish-American war the USN
      sailed two monitors from San Francisco all the way to the Philippines
      to backup Dewey. How would you all like to try that trick in one of
      those Cheese Box On A Raft??? Knowing full well what that Pacific can
      throw at you from one heartbeat to the next I sure as heck would never
      have tried it. Yep, they were sure built of sterner stuff back in the
      day. Iron Ships and Iron Men -- NO DOUBT!!!

      I sure do hope that they can raise enough interest in the CERBERUS to
      recover what is left. Hate seeing a real piece of history just go to rot.

      Frank, Great Idea using those paper models to build tin ships! You
      sure got my gears a-spinning! Would folks really object if we only
      used them for personal enjoyment? I could not see the point of posting
      them at all if that were the case.

      Again -- THANKS ALL!!!!

      Keep It FUN!

      Dan G