Pop pop pump?

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
      After noticing a fairly strong pumping action on my pie pan test and the coffee maker engine, just wondering if a pop pop pump is possible. I've thought about it for smaller engines, but making tiny check valves would be a problem. I noticed aquarium check valves like below at the local walmart that might work for larger engine setups to make a pop pop pump. Might also be used with a mister head to promote rapid water return to a large engine boiler.

      http://aquaterras.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=739

      http://www.horseloverz.com/product.php?productid=236523
    • Sparks, Matthew - McClatchy Corporate
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
        Basically a mister coffee is a pop-pop with a check valve. (a ball
        bearing in a tube)
        Most drip coffee makers work on that principal. As a child, the
        "steamer" my mom used when we were sick was also basically the same
        thing
        Matt Sparks

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
          zoomkat wrote:
          > After noticing a fairly strong pumping action on my pie pan test and
          > the coffee maker engine, just wondering if a pop pop pump is
          > possible. I've thought about it for smaller engines, but making tiny
          > check valves would be a problem. I noticed aquarium check valves like
          > below at the local walmart that might work for larger engine setups
          > to make a pop pop pump. Might also be used with a mister head to
          > promote rapid water return to a large engine boiler.

          There are a few installations around of very large pumps with no
          pistons, no valves, powered by steam -- basically huge, slow-cycling
          pop-pop engines. Seems to me there's one in Australia somewhere, but I
          don't recall the name of the pump design.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
            Several guys got there first with this notion.
            Go to http://tinyurl.com/4xqkj for their names.