This and That

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2006

      The "This" is that I haven't "introduced" new members to the group for
      a while. The last time there were forty-five of us. Now there are
      forty-seven. "weldfabnut" and "sst56ts1" are our newest members.
      The "That" is "that" there is a new method for printing material that
      is downloaded, scanned, copied or composed on sheet metal.
      Go to: http://tinyurl.com/tmddj for the source of this information.
      The capability for printing on metal, plastic, wood, etc. will add to
      the ways that people can get in trouble by unlicensed use of
      copyrighted material. I am not a lawyer, so contacted our official
      paper model advisor, David Hathaway to get his advice.

      Frank

      My "advice" on the thorny issue of copyright is:
      1: It is a breach of copyright to copy a card model - whatever the
      medium you copy it to - regardless if it is a (free) download or
      printed model.
      2: Most people who create free card models usually explicitly retain
      copyright on their models and as such retain legal control.
      3: Just because it is a (free) download does not mean it is free to
      "play around" with or not covered by copyright.
      4: Most people who create downloads accept it will be impossible to
      enforce anything once the model is in the public domain.
      5: Copyright covers everything that is created in "print" at the point
      it is created - it does not have to be registered for protection under
      international law. It is easier to enforce if the item is marked (C)
      Copyright.
      My suggestion is that you propose it as a way forward but VERY
      strongly suggest that people who want to try it contact the copyright
      owner and ask for permission - I would make this a very very strong
      suggestion for commercial models. I am 100% sure that most card model
      designers will be flattered you asked - rather than just did it - and
      they will gladly give permission. More importantly you have that
      important cover-your-a** permission if things do get sticky. A further
      courtesy might be to send them a photo of any resulting models. You
      also stand a chance of getting them involved and being able to make
      suggestions. I would be fascinated to see a pop-pop version of the
      Cerberus - something for YouTube perhaps?
      As an aside I suspect that the available power of a pop-pop engine
      would require radically reducing the underwater hull of a vessel as
      much as possible to reduce weight, wetted area and drag - rather than
      ballasting down the real hull form to sit at the right level in the
      water?

      Hope this helps.
      David

      (David's advice has been converted to PDF and added to the files section)