Re: Another Home Page Picture

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 19, 2009
      Hi all.

      Got Brazil and Mexico confused. Been that sort of day.

      Tim

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 22, 2010

        This one has been used before. It shows a wooden hull with an engine that is not made of round tubing or formed into a coil. Go to message number 55 to read about it. Richard is currently revisiting his idea for using a Kitchen rudder to provide steering and reverse propulsion under remote control.

        Message 3 of 30 , Aug 16, 2010

          Today's home page picture was "borrowed" from Slater Harrison's "Science Toy Maker" website at http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ for the benefit of aunts, uncles, parents, grand parents and others who are trying to find something for children to do when it is too wet, dry, hot or cold for them to go outside. If it isn't too wet dry hot or cold now, remember that it will be at some time in the future and you will need to find his website in order to maintain your sanity.

          Best wishes,
          Old Frank- parent, grandparent and great grandparent
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 23, 2010
            Here is another one based loosely on stuff from the website Pete found. The top image shows a "brig" defined as having two masts with square rigged sails. The aft mast might also have a spanker sail. The bottom image shows a "hermaphrodite brig", aka "brigantine" with a forward mast carrying square rigged sails. Some R/C models use servos to rotate masts rather than winches for running rigging move the sails. The advantage of square rigging is that it would not interfere with pop-pop engines installed between the fore and aft masts.

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > Today's home page picture was "borrowed" from Slater Harrison's "Science Toy Maker" website at http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ for the benefit of aunts, uncles, parents, grand parents and others who are trying to find something for children to do when it is too wet, dry, hot or cold for them to go outside. If it isn't too wet dry hot or cold now, remember that it will be at some time in the future and you will need to find his website in order to maintain your sanity.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            > Old Frank- parent, grandparent and great grandparent

          • frankmcneill
            Message 5 of 30 , Sep 9, 2010

              The "new" home page picture was borrowed from Jack Stinson's "Weird Jack" album in the photos section. It shows a boat with a diaphragm type pop-pop engine and a radio control item described as a Spektrum receiver/servo brick with dimension of 1"x3/4"x3/8", including two on-board servo mechanisms powered by a rechargeable lithium polymer battery smaller than a stick of gum. Jack wrote that his small radio controlled boats could be trimmed to run in tight circles in his kitchen sink. Electronics components are getting smaller, so take a closer look next time you swat a fly, it might be a model airplane.