The new home page image

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006

      Pete Baker's series of North River Steamboat images on the home page has been interrupted temporarily to suggest that patterns for paper and card stock models could be printed on sheet metal and used to produce pop-pop boats that would look a little more like historical vessels and a little less like the pop-pop boats that some of us played with when we were kids.
      The current home page image was produced by combining an image from Pete's North River Project images of Fulton's steamboat titled Clermont PAPERMODELER By: northriver07 with an image of a free waterline paper model of HMVS Cerberus.Anyone who would like to download a free pattern for Cerberus could go the links section for the "Paper Models (free)" list and the Paper Shipwright.. A pattern for a small display model of the North River Boat can be purchased by clicking on the link for "Paper Models International" and going to catalog page #54.
      I hope this will generate some discussion, because paper and card stock models constitute a huge untapped source for production of sheet metal models that could have pop-pop, or gurgle steam engines.
      There is also an untapped market for working semi-scale models that could be sold in gift shops that are maintained by museums, maritime institutions and groups that need money to restore and preserve some of the remaining vessels from the golden age of steam. Go to: http://www.pskc.freeserve.co.uk/links.htm for a list with some of these groups.  For a potential customer that's closer to home for those of us in the US Go to: http://www.smithsonianstore.com/home.jsp for a visit to the Smithsonian's online gift shop and use "boat" as a search word. I don't think you will find anything that looks or acts like a boat online, or probably in any of several Smithsonian gift shops of the brick and mortar kind.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2006

        Frank,

        As always, great suggestions for ideas and resources.

        Thanks...