ACW Era Engines????

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006
      Greetings All,

      Those great images of the NORTH RIVER have drawn me out of Lurker Mode.

      I am hoping you gents can help me out a bit.

      See I am an old Snipe with a keen interest in ACW to WWI naval history
      and technology. A lot of that interest is currently being consumed in
      my hunt for darn near anything and everything that I can dig up
      regarding the history and construction of the CSS MANASSAS. (America's
      first steam powered ironclad warship.) My current dilemma resides in
      my vast ignorance regarding the layout and operation of the engines
      used in the ships of the ACW era. I have no trouble finding my way
      around a 1200 psi steam plant or a Triple Expansion steam engine, but
      when it comes to these old girls I am at a real loss. The overall lack
      of available reading materials on the subject is certainly not helping
      my cause very much. The one book that I am saving my nickels and dimes
      for is still well beyond my pocketbook. (Maybe Santa will show some
      mercy.--LOL)

      In the mean time I am hoping that you guys might be able to steer me
      to a couple of online websites that contain information about these
      old engines. Diagrams or sketches with component identification of the
      various types would be truly wonderful!!! Any suggestions????

      Thank you for any and all assistance!

      BTW -- Did you all know that Robert Fulton also designed a working
      Underwater Cannon for the USN???
      http://www.history.rochester.edu/steam/thurston/fulton/chapter5.html

      Or how about the DEMOLOGOS (renamed USS FULTON) the first steam-power
      battery built for the USN???
      http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-f/fulton.htm

      The man was a true visionary genius!

      Dan G
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 10, 2006

        Dan,

        I am relatively new to the steamboat world. I started about 2-1/2 years ago when I got interested in the building of a "CLERMONT" replica initiated by the Saugerties (NY) Fulton Steamboat Foundation. I took on the task of researching and drawing up a 3D Solids model in CAD for the group. They have gone into hibernation. I have not. The North River images are my first attempts of trying to put together infomation that I have been able to find. The engine is completely documented in a museum in the UK. The installation and the rest of the boat is not very well documented. I suspect that if you GOOGLE Bolton & Watt you'll get pointed in the direction that you want to go. They precede the ACW but the progression of the steam engine will documented to the era of choice.

        there are a couple of links that may be able to give you a more direct answer. Frank probably has them listed but here they are:

        http://www.si.edu/ (Smithsonian)

        http://www.mariner.org/ (Mariner's Museum Newport News, VA)

        http://www.steamboats.org/  (Steamboat Organization that has an active message board focus primarily on river boats.)

        Pete

        PS: I hope to refine the digital model, including the engine, as I verify the details. I'm 63, so it may well be a good retirement project.

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Dan" <grauwulf@...> wrote:

        > Greetings All,
        >
        > Those great images of the NORTH RIVER have drawn me out of Lurker Mode.
        >
        > I am hoping you gents can help me out a bit.
        >
        > See I am an old Snipe with a keen interest in ACW to WWI naval history
        > and technology. A lot of that interest is currently being consumed in
        > my hunt for darn near anything and everything that I can dig up
        > regarding the history and construction of the CSS MANASSAS. (America's
        > first steam powered ironclad warship.) My current dilemma resides in
        > my vast ignorance regarding the layout and operation of the engines
        > used in the ships of the ACW era. I have no trouble finding my way
        > around a 1200 psi steam plant or a Triple Expansion steam engine, but
        > when it comes to these old girls I am at a real loss. The overall lack
        > of available reading materials on the subject is certainly not helping
        > my cause very much. The one book that I am saving my nickels and dimes
        > for is still well beyond my pocketbook. (Maybe Santa will show some
        > mercy.--LOL)
        >
        > In the mean time I am hoping that you guys might be able to steer me
        > to a couple of online websites that contain information about these
        > old engines. Diagrams or sketches with component identification of the
        > various types would be truly wonderful!!! Any suggestions????
        >
        > Thank you for any and all assistance!
        >

        > BTW -- Did you all know that Robert Fulton also designed a working
        > Underwater Cannon for the USN???
        > http://www.history.rochester.edu/steam/thurston/fulton/chapter5.html
        >
        > Or how about the DEMOLOGOS (renamed USS FULTON) the first steam-power
        > battery built for the USN???
        > http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-f/fulton.htm
        >
        > The man was a true visionary genius!
        >

        > Dan G

      • Dan
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 14, 2006
          Greetings All,

          You guys are GREAT! Thanks for all the links. I only get online on
          none working weekend mornings so I am sure these will keep me busy for
          awhile.

          Great model/image of the HMVS CERBERUS! I love those breastwork
          monitors. I am always amazed at the courage of the crews that took
          those ironclads out to sea. During the Spanish-American war the USN
          sailed two monitors from San Francisco all the way to the Philippines
          to backup Dewey. How would you all like to try that trick in one of
          those Cheese Box On A Raft??? Knowing full well what that Pacific can
          throw at you from one heartbeat to the next I sure as heck would never
          have tried it. Yep, they were sure built of sterner stuff back in the
          day. Iron Ships and Iron Men -- NO DOUBT!!!

          I sure do hope that they can raise enough interest in the CERBERUS to
          recover what is left. Hate seeing a real piece of history just go to rot.

          Frank, Great Idea using those paper models to build tin ships! You
          sure got my gears a-spinning! Would folks really object if we only
          used them for personal enjoyment? I could not see the point of posting
          them at all if that were the case.

          Again -- THANKS ALL!!!!

          Keep It FUN!

          Dan G
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 14, 2006
            Hi Dan and all,

            Thanks for your post Dan. I asked David Hathaway for information about the use
            of copyrighted material and pasted his reply to the end of the message you read.
            He hasn't objected to the use of his plans as templates for plastic models, so he
            probably wouldn't mind if individual modified his plans for personal use. The only
            use that might get somebody in trouble would be to use copyrighted material for
            commercial applications. David said that would probably be okay, if it was done
            cooperatively with a publisher of paper model plans. Bear in mind that the model
            shown on the home page is a waterline model. One of David's friends developed
            hull lines that can also be downloaded for display models. Another possibility is
            described in a file with a plan I downloaded from the origami magic company's
            website. There is a Yahoo group called origamiboats that builds frame-less steel
            and aluminum boats. You might want to join the group to see how they do it.

            Best wishes, Frank