Re: Today's Early Edition News

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2006

      RE: The North River image

      The image was created in KeyCreator CAD software from a 3D Solids model. Each component was created in what is known as wireframe Solids. That is to say that it is represented by lines defining each edge. As a Solid the software can calculate volume, mass and center of gravity based on material attributes assigned. Each individual components is assembled into the boat, not unlike a plastic model.

      The model can be rotated on a point defined by the user. It allows you to view a particular area of the model by repositioning for the best angle of sight. In addition each face of the model can be assigned a color and/or texture for rendering. I plan to "brick in" the firebox using this feature. I can also assign a transparency to any of the components. It allows you to see behind the surface while still defining it's form.

      By the pushing of a couple of keys I can create a boat that is 12" or 150' long. All features would be scaled up or down as requested. If I had created a dimensioned drawing all dimensions would be automatically updated by the chosen scale factor of the 3D model.

      There are other new North River images in the folder under Photos. If interested in seeing some of the rendering features, give a little whistle!