Re: Mini/Micro torches

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 25 1:33 PM
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

      > I didn't watch all those videos but of the ones I did watch none showed anything being welded or even soldered. Did you????  They seem to be selling hydrogen generators. Must see if welding is possible with HHO gas.

      If you want to see some clueless snake oil people, do a youtube search for "HHO car". These people will get better gas mileage wearing aluminum foil hats than putting a hydrogen generator in their cars. I'm not sure welding would be something of interest for them. The reason I mention the DIY torches is that they can put very high heat in a very small spot. From some of the post made I don't think many are really that familiar with doing high temperature work with small components and thin materials.
    • Daryl Foster
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 26 1:31 AM
        Some thoughts on today's  messages:-

        David...Great summary of putt putt engine function.

        High temperature Silver brazing on thin materials is quite easily done.. Most of my boilers have .014 brass tube brazed to .020 to .045 brass or copper using MAP gas and braze in the wire form. I have also successfully brazed .010 stainless and tin/steel. Silver rod requires too much heat to melt because of it's thickness. If you spend some time at the link below and are interested you can learn a lot about brazing materials available and some how to info including braze melt temperatures etc.

        My question about welding/brazing with HHO (Brownes) gas was because most of the people trying to sell the HHO generators talked about welding but showed only cutting and melting (or perhaps oxidizing.) In any case I don't see any advavtage in trying to use it.

        Oxidation is a common cause of failure when trying to silver braze and the flux used is designed to exclude oxygen from the heated surfaces to be joined. Rule #1 is cleanliness.

        ------------------------------------

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 26 11:34 AM
          What type of mapp gas torch do you use? I've posted pictures of the typical hardware store type I have. With a 1/2" burner pipe it may be a little much for small work (I'll need to do some testing). What type of brazing wire do you use and where do you obtain it? As to the hydrogen torches, if one work in the combustion cone, the flame should be ~neutral. I checked the spec on my oxy/mapp rig and the burn time ranges from 8 min. to 35 min. depending on the tip used and the gas flow setting. The oxygen bottle is the limiting factor, and at $8 per bottle, something more economical is needed. The below HHO generator uses stainless steel switch wall plates for the electrodes (~$1.60 each at Homedepot). Bottom are the traditional alternatives for high temp gas welding.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUiv8IoZBs

          http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65818

          http://tinyurl.com/y9k8ju9

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster <darylcanada73@...> wrote:

          > Some thoughts on today's  messages:-
          >
          > David...Great summary of putt putt engine function.
          >
          > High temperature Silver brazing on thin materials is quite easily done. Most of my boilers have .014 brass tube brazed to .020 to .045 brass or copper using MAP gas and braze in the wire form. I have also successfully brazed .010 stainless and tin/steel. Silver rod requires too much heat to melt because of it's thickness. If you spend some time at the link below and are interested you can learn a lot about brazing materials available and some how to info including braze melt temperatures etc.
          >
          > http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/index.html
          >
          > My question about welding/brazing with HHO (Brownes) gas was because most of the people trying to sell the HHO generators talked about welding but showed only cutting and melting (or perhaps oxidizing.) In any case I don't see any advavtage in trying to use it.
          >
          > Oxidation is a common cause of failure when trying to silver braze and the flux used is designed to exclude oxygen from the heated surfaces to be joined. Rule #1 is cleanliness.

        • darylcanada73
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27 1:46 AM
            Looks the same as the photo in the link below except cheaper. 400gm MAP bottles about $10.00Can. lasts quite a while. Silver braze available at a welding/bottled gas supply store or jewelers wholesale. I use Handy & Harmon Braze 450. The Lucas-Milhaupt link can get you there. I'm told there is a disadvantage to using oxy re added risk of oxidation but can work OK if the direct flame is kept away from the brazing area. ie. heat from the back side. Silver braze flows so good once the work is up to temperature I find the wide flame an advantage over a narrow flame as the whole work area can be held at the right temperature. This could be the disadvantage of HHO with it's narrow flame.

            http://www.tractorsupply.com/welding-metalworking/solder-torch-kits-solder/solder/quickfire-trigger-start-torch-3840132

            > What type of mapp gas torch do you use? I've posted pictures of the typical hardware store type I have. With a 1/2" burner pipe it may be a little much for small work (I'll need to do some testing). What type of brazing wire do you use and where do you obtain it? As to the hydrogen torches, if one work in the combustion cone, the flame should be ~neutral. I checked the spec on my oxy/mapp rig and the burn time ranges from 8 min. to 35 min. depending on the tip used and the gas flow setting. The oxygen bottle is the limiting factor, and at $8 per bottle, something more economical is needed. The below HHO generator uses stainless steel switch wall plates for the electrodes (~$1.60 each at Homedepot). Bottom are the traditional alternatives for high temp gas welding.
            >
            > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHUiv8IoZBs
            >
            > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=65818
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/y9k8ju9
            >

            > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Daryl Foster <darylcanada73@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Some thoughts on today's  messages:-
            > >
            > > David...Great summary of putt putt engine function.
            > >
            > > High temperature Silver brazing on thin materials is quite easily done. Most of my boilers have .014 brass tube brazed to .020 to .045 brass or copper using MAP gas and braze in the wire form. I have also successfully brazed .010 stainless and tin/steel. Silver rod requires too much heat to melt because of it's thickness. If you spend some time at the link below and are interested you can learn a lot about brazing materials available and some how to info including braze melt temperatures etc.
            > >
            > > http://www.lucasmilhaupt.com/index.html
            > >
            > > My question about welding/brazing with HHO (Brownes) gas was because most of the people trying to sell the HHO generators talked about welding but showed only cutting and melting (or perhaps oxidizing.) In any case I don't see any advavtage in trying to use it.
            > >
            > > Oxidation is a common cause of failure when trying to silver braze and the flux used is designed to exclude oxygen from the heated surfaces to be joined. Rule #1 is cleanliness.

          • sydneygreenestreet
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 29 2:38 AM
              I have one of these little torches and they are ok.... I had trouble silversoldering a 1/4" brass washer onto a 1" length of 1/4" brass round though. Maybe excellent for jewelry....
              I find that silver soldering with the solder that is 45% silver is simple if you apply just enough flux to the parts you want to join then put a few small chips of solder in the position you want it to "run" from and heat the whole job untill the solder runs and it will only go where you have fluxed. I have used it this way to make pressure gauges and other fine work.