Re: Alcohol Burners

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2006
      Frank,

      Thanks for the heads up!

      I tried to cover the danger in using alcohol. The cotton ball insert was
      to absorb the alcohol in the burner to prevent spills. Then my caution
      note...

      The supply container of alcohol is a different story. When kids are
      around extra precaution and education on safety is required. The sketch
      of my engine is only proposed as a replacement for the little candles
      that are used on pop-pop's. I guess one could substitute lamp oil in my
      engine. The down side is soot!

      I would want to use a slightly more sophisticated fuel supply with an
      RC. Butane would definitely be a strong contender. If you could use some
      type of nozzle slightly remote from the take you would get the tank away
      from the heat source. As the gas is "escaping" from tank it would have
      some cooling effect. I remember those little CO2 cylinders that I had in
      little racers would be covered with frost after the cap was punched to
      propel the vehicle up the driveway.

      Keep your ideas coming!

      Pete
      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2006
        Hi Pete,

        There are a lot of refillable butane fired gadgets
        that might be used. Check out the links for butane
        lighters for candles with bendable, extensible, or
        long necks that would isolate flames from butane
        tanks. There are also a lot of miniature torches,
        stoves and chafing dishes that might be used, but so
        far I haven't put up any links to those. Check out the
        Tyger pipe link for some really strange stuff. I
        invited what is probably the one man management team
        and factory crew to visit us and consider joining,
        because he could probably crank out radio controllable
        engines with four square tube boilers and a butane
        burner. He sells components for people who want to
        build their own lighters too.

        Best wishes, Frank

        Butane Lighter with a Bendable Neck
        http://www.acandleco.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/8900/subcatid/0/id/166655