Outboard pop pop engine

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 12 1:11 PM
      Checking Buzz's Boat Yard, I noticed a new page talking about an out board pop pop engine they have developed. They seem to be somewhat wanting to claim intelectual rights to the concept, which I don't necessairly agree with (a specific engine maybe yes, the concept no). They haven't published any info on the engine, so I think the rights (if one can claim rights) are still somewhat open to the first to publically demonstrate a working variety. I noticed Tim's engine #3 appears to have a large elevation difference between the boiler and the water. If the engine #3 works with this elevation difference, the engine could be quickly and easily modified into a working outboard engine. Just some thoughts to keep pop pop engine development to everybody.
    • epikflyer
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 12 2:25 PM
        Hi Zoomkat.

        My intention for Engine 3 was to have the cylindrical part vertically orientated so the pipes run horizontally along the bottom of a hull and I was going to use a butane/propane blow torch to heat the copper face opposing the pipes. I will however consider your ideas when I come to test the engine. I have to say though, and I hasten to add that I do not wish to dampen your enthusiasm for one second, but the engine kind of "happened" because of the tools and materials I had available, rather than a scientific design of a motor around known working principals and design of pop pop motors. I made it because it was fun to do, and I wanted to test a design and engineering principle to make a soldered motor which did not have the sometimes random and untidy flow of the solder, but that had been machined after soldering and remained air/watertight and looked nicer in my opinion . In this I have succeeded, and so as an engineering exercise it has been successfull, but probably needs development to make it a practical and well performing engine. How it will perform remains to be seen. Having said that, I do appreciate your "open source" pop pop development idea, and applaud it and support it whole heartedly. Having given this thought and to that end, I am willing to give my engine 3 to someone who thinks they can do something with it, for postage costs only. If anyone is interested please contact me.

        Best regards.

        Tim

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 18 11:14 PM
          Just to get the foot in the door, below is my quick video of my working outboard pop pop boat engine. Video recording kept stopping after a couple of seconds, but it does document it working.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6TMidJOtI

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19 1:37 PM
            Hi Zoomkat,

            Today's homepage picture shows something that could generate outboard propulsion with oars or paddles to keep it from becoming an on-board companion. One of my nephews provided this picture of an eleven foot long rattlesnake that was killed near Odessa, Texas.

            Frank

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 19 2:50 PM
              --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

              > Hi Zoomkat,
              >
              > Today's homepage picture shows something that could generate outboard propulsion with oars or paddles to keep it from becoming an on-board companion. One of my nephews provided this picture of an eleven foot long rattlesnake that was killed near Odessa, Texas.

              I'm not much into killing animals just to have a fleeting moment of fame and self gratification. When I was a kid if you shot a big barn owl or hawk, you could go to the local small town weekly news paper and they would put a picture in the paper of you holding it outspread to show the big wing span.
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 19 3:49 PM
                Hi Zoomkat,

                I should have mentioned that the guy in the photo is not me or one of my nephews. One more item- please reply above messages rather than below and I will promise not to kill anything for a fleeting moment fame and self gratification. I want my fame and self gratification to last a lot longer than that.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 19 4:37 PM
                  Actually "top posting" has been discouraged in internet discussion groups at least back to 94' when I managed to get a dialin unix shell account. "Top posting" gives an answer to some possibly unknown previous post to the person reading it, forcing the reader to search out below what is being talked about (kind of like Jeopardy where one has to phrase their answer in the form of a question). I "bottom post" as a convenience to the readers. I normally only include the specific quoted material to which I am replying. That way the reader can easily know what my post is refering to with out having to scroll down thru often unending previous post quotes. Very efficient.

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Zoomkat,
                  >
                  > I should have mentioned that the guy in the photo is not me or one of my nephews. One more item- please reply above messages rather than below and I will promise not to kill anything for a fleeting moment fame and self gratification. I want my fame and self gratification to last a lot longer than that.
                  >
                  > Old Frank
                  >
                  > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "zoomkat" <Zoomkat@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Zoomkat,
                  > > >
                  > > > Today's homepage picture shows something that could generate outboard propulsion with oars or paddles to keep it from becoming an on-board companion. One of my nephews provided this picture of an eleven foot long rattlesnake that was killed near Odessa, Texas.
                  > >
                  > > I'm not much into killing animals just to have a fleeting moment of fame and self gratification. When I was a kid if you shot a big barn owl or hawk, you could go to the local small town weekly news paper and they would put a picture in the paper of you holding it outspread to show the big wing span.

                • jeanyves_renaud
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 19 11:53 PM
                    There are different theories about the way to answer a message on Internet. When we use "normal" Email, one theory (the small train one) is to keep all the previous messages and to answer below or above. Thus you can clean your mail box by deleting all the previous messages.
                    That is not the way a forum (this forum) is organized. All the messages are still there.

                    We also have to consider that we live in an era where most of people have no time (or don't take time) to scroll down in order to read an answer several pages below. That is why the last comments are more and more often above the previous ones.

                    Whatever (above or below), as suggested Zoomkat, on the forum it is reasonable to delete all what doesn't concern what you are answering.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2009
                      Below must be the previously mentioned outboard engine pop pop boat. Looks to me like a standard Indian engine has had the exhaust pipes cut off at the bottom of the boiler and then the ends of the pipes reattached to the bottom of the boiler. Looks somewhat like a large $12 pop pop boat with the engine removed and modified.

                      http://www.4physics.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/42/products_id/440?osCsid=368ead003bc972bbcef2fff110b4579e

                      http://www.4physics.com/catalog/images/OutboardBoatMotorNoCover.jpg