Re: Questions

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
      Hi Shawn,

      Brass would probably be your best choice. If possible, find
      an industrial supply house where you can handle several
      thicknesses of brass shim stock which is available as sheets
      that are usually six inches wide by eighteen inches long.
      If you can't find it locally, go online to order from McMaster-Carr,
      or suppliers you can find in Thomas Register.
      I added a link for anybody who is shopping for "Brass Tubes."
      After it opens click on "miscellaneous," then on "metal center."

      Best wishes, Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "shawnarbuckle" <arbuckle3572@...>
      wrote:

      > Hey gang,
      >
      > I've been enjoying going through all of the files and photos in the
      > group. Built my first pop-pop boat (candle burner) using a tin can a
      > few weeks ago and have been having fun with my son as it puts around
      > the bathtub. I'm thinking about building another boat and am hoping
      > to make it somewhat larger (~10" instead of 6") and going to the
      > alcohol burner for a more even flame. Is a single burner/pipe large
      > enough or should I try for a dual burner for the larger boat? Also,
      > does anyone have recommendations for finding a local source of thin
      > tin/copper/brass to construct such a boat?
      >
      > All the best,
      > Shawn

    • shawnarbuckle
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
        Thanks for the information Pete. I'll try your design out :-) Not
        sure if I'll actually get to building a boat this weekend like I had
        hoped to but maybe I'll get to squeeze some time in to try.

        My first boat works well when I have a new candle, but when the
        candle burns down, there's enough heat loss that it doesn't generate
        the "putt" needed to putt. I'm hoping that the alcohol burner (or
        maybe an oil lamp burner???) will produce a more even heat to solve
        the problem.

        By the way, Marc Horovitz (in the links section) also has a design
        for an alcohol burner. . .

        Keep on putting
        Shawn

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006

          Shawn,

          Thanks for pointing me to Marc's Link.  It took a while to find it.  He has a lot of good info.

          Our designs are very similar even down to materials and some of the wording.  Marc has obviously done more work on the finish product than I have. He has hole size, vent hole and the filler tube all figured out. No sense in reinventing the wheel. Use the best of all worlds.

          The cotton ball idea is to minimize spill out when handling the boat after lighting. I suppose that an oil lamp wick could also be coiled inside the engine for the same effect. Both would reduce useable capacity for fuel but I think may be a little safer. I also made my design removeable to facilitate experimenting with orifice size. You could have a set of caps with various holes drilled. It would also be portable for sharing with more than one boat. I haven't built boat or burner yet so I'm kind of thinking out loud.

          ENJOY

          Pete