Engine 3

  • epikflyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
      Hi all.

      I could not sleep last night and so made engine number 3. It is a traditional diaphragm this time. I need to shorten the pipes a bit but it has power and pops. I just tested it and it is a sweet little motor with a nice mellow pop. I used heavier gauge brass for the diaphragm. Pictures are in my album "Tim's pop pop pictures". Please check them out if you so desire.

      I used Jean-Yves PDF instructions for engine 1 and it inspired a slightly different approach for this engine. Unlike Jean-Yves engine you do not need to make a die or punch for the construction of this motor. It is however still made from recycled copper plumbing tube.

      If there is enough interest I will gladly write instructions for making it. It was great fun, and quite simple and very quick. I had a huge grin when I fired it up this evening and it worked first time. I think it looks nice to.

      Engine 4 is under way, and is twice the size just to see if I can scale it up. Then I need to take a break from engines and make some hulls. I will post pictures of course and try and take some videos of some pop pop action at the local lake.

      Life is good!

      Best regards.

      Tim
    • Arno
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
        Tim,
        I'd be very interested to see your instructions.Who would know sleepless
        nights could be so much fun.
        Looking forward to see your finished boats.

        Arno

        epikflyer wrote:

        > Hi all.
        >
        > I could not sleep last night and so made engine number 3. It is a
        > traditional diaphragm this time. I need to shorten the pipes a bit but
        > it has power and pops. I just tested it and it is a sweet little motor
        > with a nice mellow pop. I used heavier gauge brass for the diaphragm.
        > Pictures are in my album "Tim's pop pop pictures". Please check them
        > out if you so desire.
        >
        > I used Jean-Yves PDF instructions for engine 1 and it inspired a
        > slightly different approach for this engine. Unlike Jean-Yves engine
        > you do not need to make a die or punch for the construction of this
        > motor. It is however still made from recycled copper plumbing tube.
        >
        > If there is enough interest I will gladly write instructions for
        > making it. It was great fun, and quite simple and very quick. I had a
        > huge grin when I fired it up this evening and it worked first time. I
        > think it looks nice to.
        >
        > Engine 4 is under way, and is twice the size just to see if I can
        > scale it up. Then I need to take a break from engines and make some
        > hulls. I will post pictures of course and try and take some videos of
        > some pop pop action at the local lake.
        >
        > Life is good!
        >
        > Best regards.
        >
        > Tim

      • epikflyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
          Hi Arno.

          Thank you very much for your encouragement.

          I will provide the instructions for you as soon as possible. I will write out instructions, and take step by step photographs, because a picture says a thousand words. I do not know how to make PDF document, which would seem to be the best way of doing it. I will look in to it. If not I will make a new step by step photo album.

          Thanks again for your interest.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
            > I do not know how to make PDF document, which would seem to be the best
            > way of doing it. I will look in to it.

            Look into http://bullzip.com/ which lets you PDF anything you can print.
            Free.

            David 1/2d
          • epikflyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
              Thank you for the link David.

              Tim

> [...]
            • northriver07
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2009
                Tim,

                Here is a relatively easy way to make a PDF document...and it's free!

                http://www.pdfonline.com/

                Give it a try.

                Pete

                --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "epikflyer" <p-40.av8r@...> wrote:

                > Hi Arno.
                >
                > Thank you very much for your encouragement.
                >
                > I will provide the instructions for you as soon as possible. I will write out instructions, and take step by step photographs, because a picture says a thousand words. I do not know how to make PDF document, which would seem to be the best way of doing it. I will look in to it. If not I will make a new step by step photo album.
                >
                > Thanks again for your interest.
                >
                > Tim
                >

                > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Arno <arnobrosi@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Tim,
                > > I'd be very interested to see your instructions.Who would know sleepless
                > > nights could be so much fun.
                > > Looking forward to see your finished boats.
                > >
                > > Arno
                > >
                > > epikflyer wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Hi all.
                > > >
                > > > I could not sleep last night and so made engine number 3. It is a
                > > > traditional diaphragm this time. I need to shorten the pipes a bit but
                > > > it has power and pops. I just tested it and it is a sweet little motor
                > > > with a nice mellow pop. I used heavier gauge brass for the diaphragm.
                > > > Pictures are in my album "Tim's pop pop pictures". Please check them
                > > > out if you so desire.
                > > >
                > > > I used Jean-Yves PDF instructions for engine 1 and it inspired a
                > > > slightly different approach for this engine. Unlike Jean-Yves engine
                > > > you do not need to make a die or punch for the construction of this
                > > > motor. It is however still made from recycled copper plumbing tube.
                > > >
                > > > If there is enough interest I will gladly write instructions for
                > > > making it. It was great fun, and quite simple and very quick. I had a
                > > > huge grin when I fired it up this evening and it worked first time. I
                > > > think it looks nice to.
                > > >
                > > > Engine 4 is under way, and is twice the size just to see if I can
                > > > scale it up. Then I need to take a break from engines and make some
                > > > hulls. I will post pictures of course and try and take some videos of
                > > > some pop pop action at the local lake.
                > > >
                > > > Life is good!
                > > >
                > > > Best regards.
                > > >
                > > > Tim

              • epikflyer
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 10, 2009
                  Hi Pete.

                  Thank you very much for the link. I will have a look.

                  Cheers.

                  Tim