RE: [pop-pop-steamboats] Slater Harrison's opo pop engines

  • Slater Harrison
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2009

      That’s a really well-made engine; I can’t get them to pop that strongly on just a tea candle. Feel free to post your work as a “video response” on YouTube. It’s easy and I can help the first time through.

      Slater

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2009
        That engine is probably the loudest of the seven I made. I need to number them, run them, and then compare the best running to the others to determine what the build differences are. The tea candles came from Walmart and have nice long wicks. As long as the wicks stay long and don't get broken off, they produce a big flame. I may get some thick wick (for making candles 4"+ in diameter) from the local Hobby lobby craft store that has a small zink wire in the center of the wick. The 100 for $4.99 tea candles at Hobby Lobby look like they may already have the zink core wicks. The zink wire in the wick keeps it standing up when the paraffin melts. The tea candles I've looked at can be disassembled and the small wick replaced with the big wick if desired. Something to do for a "super boat".

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Slater Harrison <Sharrison@...> wrote:

        > That's a really well-made engine; I can't get them to pop that strongly on just a tea candle. Feel free to post your work as a "video response" on YouTube. It's easy and I can help the first time through.
        > Slater
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2009
          Well, I modified Can 2 by putting the tubes out the stern at the bottom
          corner of the can so that the only real practical difference between the
          2 Sardine Cans is the number of coils.

          It looks like with brass tubing and aluminium Sardine Cans fired with
          Esbit fuel tabs one needs more coils. The 5 coil tube boat runs more
          consistently and stronger than the 2 loop coil. The larger heating
          surface of the 5 coils must work better on some level than fewer loops.

          My thinking was that fewer loops would require less heat to run but it
          looks like I was mistaken.

          Next is to take Can 2 and replace the 2 loop coil motor with a Slater
          Harrison style pop-pop motor. My neighbor is a beer drinker so there
          are lot of cans in the recycle bin to make boilers with! Of course I'm
          now running out of Esbit tabs and can't find any in my area
          anymore...the only real hobby shops don't carry live steam stuff anymore
          and there are NO real outdoor gear places left either...<sigh>. Maybe
          I'll make alcohol burners for further experiments.

          I'm going to keep the original Sardine Can as the control for the
          experiments since it seems to work fine, which is odd for me as it was
          the first attempt.

          Later,
          Greg
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2009
            Hi Greg,

            Try tubing formed into a horseshoe or "U" shape with ends hanging over opposite sides of a sardine can. Round tubing will probably require a coiled section in the middle, but two sources indicate
            that square tubing works without a coil. I added a new home page picture with a picture of Slater's pop-pop boat at the top and a sketch showing a side view of a sardine can with one end of a tube boiler hanging over the side. Check the photos section for a picture of Richard Jenkins' Popflea with an engine made of square tubing and go to message #55 for his description of the boat and the source of his information about using square tubing. He found the source later and added a pdf file with a sketch and information relating to the use of square tubing.

            Old Frank

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2009
              If you have Sterno where you live, it can usually be used in place of the heating tablets. Just spoon some into the tablet holder.