Re: Big engines revisited

  • darylcanada73
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 7, 2009
      An update on "Trying to track down the 16' 3 MPH canoe."

      1. As I understand it, Nick Carter saw a big pop pop engine and heard a story to go with it that named Dean Still as the builder. This all started with a forum post on another site in 1998.

      2. Dean Still provided no further information, did not confirm the information from Nick and referred my to Dr. Larry Winiarski.

      3. Dr. Winiarski added nothing to solve the mystery.

      My guess is: Someone told Nick about the Payne experiments. Someone (Dean Still) showed Nick a big engine and it all got really confusing from there.

      If any of you live in or near Cottage Grove, Oregon you could add to the confusion by following up on this.

      Follow up reply from Nick Carter

      "Hi Daryl,
      Like I said, that's all I knew. Dean is an aquaintance from the local
      craft market that my wife and I sell at. He no longer sells there and I
      haven't seen him in 10 years. He used to sell toy pop-pop boats so when
      I did the model engine show I convinced him to bring some of his stuff
      to show the crowd. The bit pop pop engine is one of the things he brought.

      Nick"

      Follow up reply from Dr. Larry Winiarski....

      "Daryl,
      I went to see Peter Payne( gosh !! it was more than 30 years ago).
      True,He did not want to work more on the putt,putt without government support .!
      However, II felt he did have some good insights about what he thought was important in these devices.two things he did that I would like to do but never found the time is:
      He had a putt putt water pump that pumped to the top of a two story bulding (i would like to try this with my rocket stove for helping people in developing countries)
      He made a SINGLE tube putt putt that pushed a man carrying row boat.
      These were research devices that I think were electrically heated. but i would like to use my rocket stove principles to fire them with wood
      God Bless

      Larry

      > > >I had a friend's pop-pop boats for sale in my booth, as well as his
      > > >life size pop-pop motor (16' boat at 3 mph),
      > >
      > > I would love to hear more about THAT.
      > > Are there any pictures or more details available?
      > >
      > > Felice Luftschein & Nicholas Carter View profile
      > > More options Sep 29 1998, 3:00 am
      > >
      > > Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
      > > From: fel...@ (Felice Luftschein & Nicholas Carter)
      > > Date: 1998/09/29
      > > Subject: Re: lifesize pop-pop boat (was PRIME memories)

      > > >I would love to hear more about THAT.
      > > >Are there any pictures or more details available?
      > >
      > > I didn't take any pictures of it, and if you want to email your
      > > address & phone I'll have him get in touch with you.
      > > Basically it was two 30 gal drum lids welded together with a small
      > > space 1/2"-3/8" between the two, with a capped pipe for priming it and six 5/8" id pipes coming out of the bottom of the lids for propulsion. The whole deal was mounted at the stern of the boat and the pipes went out into the water. It was fired from underneath with a wood burner. His whole class went tooling around the lake. It made a racket as the drum lids would flex as it cycled,just like a little pop pop boat. He builds a lot of appropriate tech stuff for the peace corp, etc.

      Misty & Sean Foley View profile

      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 7, 2009
        Without Dean Still providing some details on the engine, it is still somewhat of a rumor as to its operation. I do think the pancake flash boiler is what will be needed to make a larger engine. Making a duplicate drum lid engine will require a little more work and tools than the typical toy type engine (mainly drilling larger holes in the lid and welding the boiler components together). I need to see if there is a local steel drum supplier that might have drum lids for sale. I put a couple of pix of a can lid engine I made years ago in my file folder. I made it using JB Weld epoxy so the amount of heat I could apply was limited before I started smelling the hot epoxy. I've got my pie pans and need to see if the edges will solder instead of sealing and bolting. I also found a 150 watt soldering iron so I need to see if I can clean the can lid edges so they will solder.