Re: Questions

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006

      Hi Don,

      What's that about great minds running in the same channel?

      All kidding aside, it was one of the first resources that popped (no pun intended) into my head. My grandfather did a lot of custom roofing work with copper and tin sheet but some of the materials he used. Metal roofs are coming back so Shawn may even be able to find scraps in different colors.

      Have a great day !

      PRB

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr." <dmunseyjr@...> wrote:

      > 2. Check with a local roofing gutter contractor. They often have scraps or
      > roll ends of copper or aluminum from their seamless gutter machnine.
      >
      > Keep in touch.
      >
      > Don Munsey, Jr.
      > dmunseyjr@...
      > Sn42 and Hn42 logging fan
      > Virginian Rwy fan
      > Bonsai grasshopper
      > Living in the UpperRightCorner of Louisiana.

    • Donald Munsey Jr.
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
        Pete,

        I hadn't thought about an actual roof panel - visiting a local construction site should garner a life time supply from the dumpster - with permission - of course!  The school system in our parish has recently built several new facilitites - each with a different color "tin" roof - so the color option is a definite!!!

        I collect copper gutter and flashing for my hammered copper jewelry hobby (helps preserve sanity to beat the CR** out of a piece of metal) from a local roofing contractor!

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006

          Don,

          In my travels over the back roads in the Northeast my wife and I noticed more & more metal roofs. They are great in the NE. The snow slides off of them quite easily and they last considerably longer than a convential shingled roof.

          I've been "snooping"... Have you heard of or been involved with USFirst (www.usfirst.org) robotics competition? Our son has been a mentor for Team #177 in South Windsor, CT. It's a program established by Dean Kamen in an attempt to get kids involved in math & science. It's a great program.

          Where are you relative to NOLA? I just lost a friend who was head of Pediatric Dentistry at LSU.

          Definitely will stay in touch.

          Pete

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
            Shawn,

            I had been thinking about an alcohol burner for the CLEMONT pop-pop
            should I ever get around to build one. I have a lot of irons in the fire
            so only time will tell. I sketched my idea up to share. Go to the file
            section and click on "ALCOHOL ENGINE".

            Pete

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "shawnarbuckle"
            <arbuckle3572@...> wrote:

            > Hey gang,

            and going to the alcohol burner for a more even flame.
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2006
              Hi Shawn,

              Brass would probably be your best choice. If possible, find
              an industrial supply house where you can handle several
              thicknesses of brass shim stock which is available as sheets
              that are usually six inches wide by eighteen inches long.
              If you can't find it locally, go online to order from McMaster-Carr,
              or suppliers you can find in Thomas Register.
              I added a link for anybody who is shopping for "Brass Tubes."
              After it opens click on "miscellaneous," then on "metal center."

              Best wishes, Frank

              wrote:

              > Hey gang,
              >
              > I've been enjoying going through all of the files and photos in the
              > group. Built my first pop-pop boat (candle burner) using a tin can a
              > few weeks ago and have been having fun with my son as it puts around
              > the bathtub. I'm thinking about building another boat and am hoping
              > to make it somewhat larger (~10" instead of 6") and going to the
              > alcohol burner for a more even flame. Is a single burner/pipe large
              > enough or should I try for a dual burner for the larger boat? Also,
              > does anyone have recommendations for finding a local source of thin
              > tin/copper/brass to construct such a boat?
              >
              > All the best,
              > Shawn

            • shawnarbuckle
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006
                Thanks for the information Pete. I'll try your design out :-) Not
                sure if I'll actually get to building a boat this weekend like I had
                hoped to but maybe I'll get to squeeze some time in to try.

                My first boat works well when I have a new candle, but when the
                candle burns down, there's enough heat loss that it doesn't generate
                the "putt" needed to putt. I'm hoping that the alcohol burner (or
                maybe an oil lamp burner???) will produce a more even heat to solve
                the problem.

                By the way, Marc Horovitz (in the links section) also has a design
                for an alcohol burner. . .

                Keep on putting
                Shawn

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 22, 2006

                  Shawn,

                  Thanks for pointing me to Marc's Link.  It took a while to find it.  He has a lot of good info.

                  Our designs are very similar even down to materials and some of the wording.  Marc has obviously done more work on the finish product than I have. He has hole size, vent hole and the filler tube all figured out. No sense in reinventing the wheel. Use the best of all worlds.

                  The cotton ball idea is to minimize spill out when handling the boat after lighting. I suppose that an oil lamp wick could also be coiled inside the engine for the same effect. Both would reduce useable capacity for fuel but I think may be a little safer. I also made my design removeable to facilitate experimenting with orifice size. You could have a set of caps with various holes drilled. It would also be portable for sharing with more than one boat. I haven't built boat or burner yet so I'm kind of thinking out loud.

                  ENJOY