Another Home Page Picture

    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 2 7:14 PM

      This one shows an assortment of STEAMSHOES built by Slater Harrison's friend, Dr. Guus Flogel in Holland. If you have heard the expression "fleet of foot" Holland is probably where it came from.

      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 3, 2009
        Hi Pete and All,

        The short series of home page pictures borrowed from members' photo albums has been interupted to post a picture of small wooden buildings, boats, etc. that can be constructed using Strombeck Sun Designs.
        I don't know if any of the boats are the right size for modification as pop-pop boats, but the nice thing about plans is that their scale can be made larger or smaller.
        We have members who joined in response to invitations I posted on a few woodworking groups, so they might want to see what else this company has in the way of plans by using a link to Strombeck Sun Designs that I added to the links section.

        Best wishes,
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 4, 2009

          I finally managed- I hope- to post a home page picture in spite of the best efforts of Yahoo Groups to keep it from happening. If I come back in the morning and see that the current picture has been removed or replaced it won't be the first time stuff like that has happened. Now go to http://tinyurl.com/yadsae4 for video of Daryl's beautiful boats.

          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 4, 2009
            Posting pictures has become a struggle the last couple of days. Sometimes the pictures are there and other times not. When a thumbnail is clicked on, the full size doesn't exist. This is just with pictures I've posted in the last couple of days.

            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 5, 2009
              Hi Zoomkat,

              Pete Baker and I know what that is like from a time when the pop-pop group didn't exist. For some reason or other another co-owner had decided to delete the group. There is a warning that deletion is permanent, so I thought the group was gone forever. Fortunately Pete is made of sterner stuff, because he got in touch with somebody at Yahoo and stayed on the case until the group was finally restored from Yahoo archives.

              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 18, 2009

                This one shows clips of a restaurant in Downers Grove, Illinois that uses toy trains to deliver food and entertainment to customers. I don't know if this restaurant is a branch of the Choo Choo Diner in Des Plaines, or just a copycat. I posted it to encourage Daryl to use pop-pop coffee makers to deliver stuff to clients seated around an elevated version of his pop-pop boats test tank.

                Best wishes, Frank
              • Tim
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 19, 2009
                  Hi Frank.

                  How about "Daryl a La Ronde" where the pop pop boats in the pool contra rotate in direction to the rotation of the restaurant, giving the impression of even more speed? Or perhaps if they went in the same direction as the restaurant they would actually be going faster. That is possibly one for Jean-Yves to research I think. In any case there are several revolving restaurants in Canada to choose from. Perhaps Daryl will do some gastronomic pop pop research for us. Have fun Daryl, and keep sniffing those rich Brazilians! It would appear to have great benefits to your pop pop development. It may be a source of research funds as well. Pop pops on the Rio Grande, or in El Popo volcano. Actually, you could investigate the use of geothermal pop pop power like that!

                  Silliness over.

                  All the best.

                  Tim

                  --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > This one shows clips of a restaurant in Downers Grove, Illinois that uses toy trains to deliver food and entertainment to customers. I don't know if this restaurant is a branch of the Choo Choo Diner in Des Plaines, or just a copycat. I posted it to encourage Daryl to use pop-pop coffee makers to deliver stuff to clients seated around an elevated version of his pop-pop boats test tank.
                  >
                  > Best wishes, Frank

                • Tim
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 19, 2009
                    Hi all.

                    Got Brazil and Mexico confused. Been that sort of day.

                    Tim

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 22, 2010

                      This one has been used before. It shows a wooden hull with an engine that is not made of round tubing or formed into a coil. Go to message number 55 to read about it. Richard is currently revisiting his idea for using a Kitchen rudder to provide steering and reverse propulsion under remote control.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Aug 16, 2010

                        Today's home page picture was "borrowed" from Slater Harrison's "Science Toy Maker" website at http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ for the benefit of aunts, uncles, parents, grand parents and others who are trying to find something for children to do when it is too wet, dry, hot or cold for them to go outside. If it isn't too wet dry hot or cold now, remember that it will be at some time in the future and you will need to find his website in order to maintain your sanity.

                        Best wishes,
                        Old Frank- parent, grandparent and great grandparent
                        Message 11 of 30 , Aug 23, 2010
                          Here is another one based loosely on stuff from the website Pete found. The top image shows a "brig" defined as having two masts with square rigged sails. The aft mast might also have a spanker sail. The bottom image shows a "hermaphrodite brig", aka "brigantine" with a forward mast carrying square rigged sails. Some R/C models use servos to rotate masts rather than winches for running rigging move the sails. The advantage of square rigging is that it would not interfere with pop-pop engines installed between the fore and aft masts.

                          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

                          > Hi All,
                          >
                          > Today's home page picture was "borrowed" from Slater Harrison's "Science Toy Maker" website at http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/ for the benefit of aunts, uncles, parents, grand parents and others who are trying to find something for children to do when it is too wet, dry, hot or cold for them to go outside. If it isn't too wet dry hot or cold now, remember that it will be at some time in the future and you will need to find his website in order to maintain your sanity.
                          >
                          > Best wishes,
                          > Old Frank- parent, grandparent and great grandparent

                        • frankmcneill
                          Message 12 of 30 , Sep 9 2:24 AM

                            The "new" home page picture was borrowed from Jack Stinson's "Weird Jack" album in the photos section. It shows a boat with a diaphragm type pop-pop engine and a radio control item described as a Spektrum receiver/servo brick with dimension of 1"x3/4"x3/8", including two on-board servo mechanisms powered by a rechargeable lithium polymer battery smaller than a stick of gum. Jack wrote that his small radio controlled boats could be trimmed to run in tight circles in his kitchen sink. Electronics components are getting smaller, so take a closer look next time you swat a fly, it might be a model airplane.