Re: New member. Advice on number of coils please.

  • epikflyer
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2 11:22 AM
      Hi Greg.

      Thank you for sharing your experiences. The sardine can looks great. I love the colours of metal when it has been heated. Great pictures. Today in my lunch break I made a die and former from a drawing on this group, for making motors and cut, annealed and flattened some copper pipe to give it a go. It went well so when I have the other bits I will get going on a diaphragm and coil motor. I found some 4 mm pipe and am getting impatient, so I might try that anyway just for the fun of it. I also found some nice brass shim stock that may find a home in my motors. Also I found on Ebay some one had 3 putt putt motors for sale. I got my wife to put in a bid and we won them! Life is good! I will need to think of some nice hull design to try them in. So much to do. I will put some pictures in the album when I have completed them.

      Best regards.

      Tim

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Greg <kragmeister@...> wrote:

      > Hello Tim,
      >
      > epikflyer wrote:
      >
      > >I am new here and getting bits together to make my first put put engine. I intend to use the coil type to start with. Could somebody explain to me please, the effect of how many coils effects the performance of the motor. Does more coils give more power or vice versa? Also what effect does the internal diameter of the pipe have
      > >
      > I just built my first coil type boat this past week using a sardine can
      > for the hull and brass tubing for the engine. You can see pictures in
      > the photos section of the group website under "Sardine Can".
      >
      > I used 5 coils and I think that for brass tubing this is too many as
      > there is a larger surface to heat and brass is not as good of a heat
      > conductor as copper. I was using Esbit camping stove fuel for the
      > fire. It performed OK in the kitchen sink, however I ran into problems
      > when I put it in a swimming pool. The main thing is that there was
      > insufficient power to overcome the waves in the pool. The other problem
      > was that my son swamped it a couple of times putting out the fire <hah>.
      >
      > Another mistake I may have made was in the tube arrangement at the
      > stern. The sardine can was aluminum so I could not solder the brass
      > tubes to it; I had to use epoxy which is an insulator. Because the
      > tubes were insulated from the hull they would not cool very quickly. I
      > also had the tubes exit at the stern so only the very ends were in the
      > water; again preventing quick cooling.
      >
      > I'm going to give it another go with another sardine or a larger herring
      > can. I'm still going to use brass tube as that is what I have on hand
      > but I am going to only use 2 coils with the tubes exiting through the
      > bottom and running to the rear of the boat so that they are surrounded
      > by water and can cool quickly which should cause a better vacuum action
      > to draw water in after the steam is expelled. At least that is my theory!
      >
      > Later,
      > Greg in PA

    • epikflyer
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2 11:59 AM
        Hi Jean-Yves.

        May I say the information on your website is incredible. The information is such great inspiration for experimentation. Although I do not understand a lot of the mathematics described, I will find it equally an enjoyable challenge trying to do so, as making my putt putt motors. Thank you for sharing the information which will no doubt be a most valuable resource in my endeavors.

        Best regards.

        Tim
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2 9:31 PM
          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "epikflyer" <epikflyer@...> wrote:

          > Also I found on Ebay some one had 3 putt putt motors for sale. I got my wife to put in a bid and we won them! Life is good! I will need to think of some nice hull design to try them in.

          You can get boat engines at the below site:

          http://www.spacetin.com/navigation_bars/Boats.html
        • jeanyves_renaud
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2 11:42 PM
            Hi Tim and Zoomkat,
            1°) Be careful when you bid on Ebay to get pop-pop boats. Many of them are sold at prices that are very high. Such prices could be justified for collectors, not for new stuff.
            Before bidding on Ebay, check the normal market prices on shops such as the one indicated (As far as I have seen, in this shop they have decent prices.)
            If you want to buy quantities, you also have to know that the prices are very cheap in the countries where most of these boats are built (India, Pakistan…). For instance, in India my son bought one of the pop-pop boats proposed at $5 on www.spacetin... (commonly sold €7 in Europe, i.e. $10.6). He got it for 20 cents of €uro without bargaining (!).
            2°) It is more fun to build such things by yourself, and no need of sophisticated and expansive tools or materials to start. See for example Slater's boats at www.sciencetoymaker.org

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 3 3:04 AM
              Hi Tim, Zoomkat and Jean-Yves,

              We have a link to GIRI & GIRI EXPORTS, owned by a pop-pop steamboats member in India. I tried to establish email correspondence with him a while back to suggest a "merger" between his wood and tin departments for the production of pop-pop boats with wooden hulls- no reply, but I didn't really expect to get one. Does anybody here do Hindi?

              Old Frank