Big engines revisited

    Message 1 of 32 , Aug 25, 2009
      I've looked at the videos of the large engine experiments and I think that an important point in power development is being overlooked. The exhaust pipes on the boilers are much too large. I think the pipes must be small enough for sufficient pressure buildup in the boiler to eject the water in the pipe at a high velocity. The energy in the ejected water increases with the square of the velocity. I've searched out a usenet discussion I remember from 98 using drum lids and posted it below. I've been thinking about trying to make a duplicate of it since then.

      http://tinyurl.com/lkq6ph

      James J Wygralak View profile
      More options Sep 29 1998, 3:00 am

      Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
      From: da...@... (James J Wygralak)
      Date: 1998/09/29
      Subject: lifesize pop-pop boat (was PRIME memories)

      >I had a friend's pop-pop boats for sale in my booth, as well as his
      >life size pop-pop motor (16' boat at 3 mph),

      I would love to hear more about THAT.
      Are there any pictures or more details available?

      Felice Luftschein & Nicholas Carter View profile
      More options Sep 29 1998, 3:00 am

      Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
      From: fel...@... (Felice Luftschein & Nicholas Carter)
      Date: 1998/09/29
      Subject: Re: lifesize pop-pop boat (was PRIME memories)

      >>I had a friend's pop-pop boats for sale in my booth, as well as his
      >>life size pop-pop motor (16' boat at 3 mph),

      >I would love to hear more about THAT.
      >Are there any pictures or more details available?

      I didn't take any pictures of it, and if you want to email your
      address & phone I'll have him get in touch with you.
      Basically it was two 30 gal drum lids welded together with a small
      space 1/2"-3/8" between the two, with a capped pipe for priming it and six 5/8" id pipes coming out of the bottom of the lids for propulsion. The whole deal was mounted at the stern of the boat and the pipes went out into the water. It was fired from underneath with a wood burner. His whole class went tooling around the lake. It made a racket as the drum lids would flex as it cycled,just like a little pop pop boat. He builds a lot of appropriate tech stuff for the peace corp, etc.

      Misty & Sean Foley View profile
      More options Sep 30 1998, 3:00 am

      Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
      From: "Misty & Sean Foley" <tin...@...>
      Date: 1998/09/30

      It made a racket as the
      drum lids would flex as it cycled,just like a little pop pop boat.

      There is an old aluminum canoe at my dads dock just waiting for one of
      these! Thanks....Tinker
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 7, 2009
        Without Dean Still providing some details on the engine, it is still somewhat of a rumor as to its operation. I do think the pancake flash boiler is what will be needed to make a larger engine. Making a duplicate drum lid engine will require a little more work and tools than the typical toy type engine (mainly drilling larger holes in the lid and welding the boiler components together). I need to see if there is a local steel drum supplier that might have drum lids for sale. I put a couple of pix of a can lid engine I made years ago in my file folder. I made it using JB Weld epoxy so the amount of heat I could apply was limited before I started smelling the hot epoxy. I've got my pie pans and need to see if the edges will solder instead of sealing and bolting. I also found a 150 watt soldering iron so I need to see if I can clean the can lid edges so they will solder.