The best tube shapes for non popping pop-pop engines

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21 4:04 AM

      I put up another home page picture that might generate a bit of chatter about the best tube shapes for building pop-pop engines of the non popping type. The circle, square and rectangles have approximately equal areas, suggesting that tubes with these shapes might have similar volumes of flow. We have two members who have used square or flattened tubes for the construction of non popping engines.

      Best wishes, Frank
    • jeanyves_renaud
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21 1:24 PM
        Yes Frank,
        Circular pipes are the easiest one that we can find on the market, but no doubt that square or flattened pipes are better to build pop-pop engines. For a given length, such pipes have a surface/volume ratio which is better than the one of circular pipes. But there is another well known alternative to get a higher surface: it is the use of multiple pipe engines. Look at Daryl's performing engines. Up to 10 pipes! At bollard pull conditions, multiple small and short pipes give the same thrust that a big and long and heavy one. Furthermore, the thrust of a multiple pipe engine decreases less than the one of a big single pipe when the boat velocity increases.
        Jean-Yves

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "frankmcneilll" <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I put up another home page picture that might generate a bit of chatter about the best tube shapes for building pop-pop engines of the non popping type. The circle, square and rectangles have approximately equal areas, suggesting that tubes with these shapes might have similar volumes of flow. We have two members who have used square or flattened tubes for the construction of non popping engines.
        >
        > Best wishes, Frank

      • Arno
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21 2:18 PM
          Hello,
          where I have you put it because I can't find it.Thank you.

          regards,Arno

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 21 3:42 PM
            Hi Arno,