Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Navy Photo

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2009
      From: "Donald Qualls" <silent1@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:11 PM

      > picture a
      > test fixture for dynamic balancing a screw forty feet in diameter and
      > weighing several tens of tons...

      Hey, all I have to do is remember my time in a Danish cement machinery
      works.

      We all hid in a concrete bunker to rev up each massive rotor and get the
      readings, then a guy would go and weld a matchbox sized lump of steel in
      just the right spot, then we'd check the balance. The it was all dismantled
      and sent off to another continent for reassembly.