Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Navy Photo

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2009
      It had a different name in the 1940s, but now it's Puget Sound Naval
      Shipyard. When I lived (briefly) in Bremerton back in 1981, the
      Enterprise was being refitted, including replacing her reactors (cut a
      hole five stories high in the side of the hull, pull the old core and
      containment out, put the new one in, and button up the hull -- repeat
      eight times). Some biggish machine tools involved, too -- picture a
      test fixture for dynamic balancing a screw forty feet in diameter and
      weighing several tens of tons...

      A little big for pop-pop power, I think...

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2009