Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Pop Pop 16' canoe

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
      David Halfpenny wrote:
      > I learned a lot about canoes one day on the Cam.
      >
      > I was coxing (steering) a racing eight parked at the bank, and past came
      > two big red-faced lads paddling furiously in a double canoe, throwing up a
      > mighty wake. Behind them was a slight young schoolboy on a scull boat (two
      > oars). He was waiting courteously behind them, just touching his blades
      > lightly in the water a couple of times a minute to keep up with the canoe.

      Assuming the boats were similar in length, this is about what you'd
      expect -- the finer scull requires a little less power at any speed
      below hull speed, but any attempt to exceed hull speed will soak up a
      tremendous amount of power. Compounding this is the fact that a common
      sliding seat single scull is several times more efficient in converting
      muscle power into forward motion than a canoe with conventional paddles
      (so is a kayak, come to that) -- that is, for a given amount of required
      power, less effort is demanded of the rower than of canoe paddlers.