Re: Pop Pop 16' canoe

  • sydneygreenestreet
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
      No one has mentioned "hull Squat" the phenomenom that occurs when traveling at speed in shallow water....
      Seriously I don't expect speed in excess of around 2 - 3 knots, serious paddlers can get considerably faster than this....Canoes are about as fine as you can get and move efficiently with little effort, just as any Canadian....
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
        From: "sydneygreenestreet" <sydneygreenestreet@...>

        > No one has mentioned "hull Squat" the phenomenom that occurs when
        > traveling at speed in shallow water....
        > Seriously I don't expect speed in excess of around 2 - 3 knots, serious
        > paddlers can get considerably faster than this....Canoes are about as
        > fine as you can get and move efficiently with little effort, just as any
        > Canadian....

        I learned a lot about canoes one day on the Cam.

        I was coxing (steering) a racing eight parked at the bank, and past came
        two big red-faced lads paddling furiously in a double canoe, throwing up a
        mighty wake. Behind them was a slight young schoolboy on a scull boat (two
        oars). He was waiting courteously behind them, just touching his blades
        lightly in the water a couple of times a minute to keep up with the canoe.

        OK, I can handle a kayak in choppy water, and if I were hunting beaver in
        the northern territories I'd take the canoe every time, but the contrast in
        mechanical efficiency was staggering! Rowing coaches use bicycles because
        they have to to keep in sight of the crew.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
          David Halfpenny wrote:
          > I learned a lot about canoes one day on the Cam.
          >
          > I was coxing (steering) a racing eight parked at the bank, and past came
          > two big red-faced lads paddling furiously in a double canoe, throwing up a
          > mighty wake. Behind them was a slight young schoolboy on a scull boat (two
          > oars). He was waiting courteously behind them, just touching his blades
          > lightly in the water a couple of times a minute to keep up with the canoe.

          Assuming the boats were similar in length, this is about what you'd
          expect -- the finer scull requires a little less power at any speed
          below hull speed, but any attempt to exceed hull speed will soak up a
          tremendous amount of power. Compounding this is the fact that a common
          sliding seat single scull is several times more efficient in converting
          muscle power into forward motion than a canoe with conventional paddles
          (so is a kayak, come to that) -- that is, for a given amount of required
          power, less effort is demanded of the rower than of canoe paddlers.