Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Re: Short Leg Outboard

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2009
      The "450 horsepower" on the front of the housing suggest someone is up
      to a little bit of a joke, but assuming the crankshaft actually connects
      to the gear unit, it could still be a practical engine for some
      applications -- say, in a covered well as an auxiliary on a medium-small
      sailboat...

      lordbthry wrote:
      > This thing is real and not a 'photoshop'?
      >
      > If it is a real outboard engine it must have a 'surface propellor' (sorry direct Dutch translation) to function and then again I wonder if this thing could produce reasonable thrust.
      >
      > No need for showering when trying to reverse. ;)
      > (If you can find a boat with a stern low enough..that is.)
      >
      > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "darylcanada73" <darylcanada73@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Anyone seen one like this before?
      >>
      >> See my Photos-Stealth Outboard Motor.

    • darylcanada73
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2009
        It is a real motor, not photoshop, and yes I'm having a bit of fun with you as I did with the owner of the motor.

        Here is the story: Seems it quit running about 12 years ago and the owner not being mechanically inclined put it his garage and forgot about it until he decided to challenge me by dropping it off at my house and asking if I would take a look at it for him. So right then and there I had a look at it and told him it was an outboard motor that will not run. He then explained that by look at it he meant fix it. Eventually I did get to looking at it. Frozen solid. Pulled the leg and was surprised to find that the engine turned over just fine. Took the rust off the read valves and bent them so they would close and the engine started and ran fine. As it was not worth fixing the leg, water pump etc. and badly needing to get back at him I cut the leg off just above the gear case and bolted it to the bottom of the block. Fit pretty good. The drive shaft is shortened and connected and the prop does turn. Gave it a paint job suitable to it's new name decal and upped the HP from 4.5 to 450. Phoned him and asked him to come pick up his motor. Started it with one pull as he came in the carport. The look on his face was worth the effort and at that point the new leg was shrouded in plastic to stop the water splashing from the bucket of cooling water as it had no neutral, or that is what I told him. The double take when I removed the plastic was a sight to behold.

        My theory is that a good joke is worth some effort particularly if it entertains friends. It ended up on display at another friend's tackle shop fooling more people. See my photos. Original owner on the right.

        OMC actually made a motor similar to this in the late '70's and early '80's. For sailboats mainly a hole was cut in the hull and sandwiched between the engine and lower unit. See my photos. Apparently they worked OK but were never popular.