Bread & Butter

  • northriver07
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2006
      Frank,

      This bread and butter construction technique is used in woodworking for
      the making of bowls and lamp shades etc. I have seen where the artisan
      has stained the individual layers multiples of colors before cementing
      together. They get an interesting rainbow effect.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2006
        Hi Pete,

        Your information about staining layers of bowls and lampshades
        suggests the possibility for using slightly different stains to make
        bread and butter hulls look like they are covered by planks.
        I posted the image because of the possibility for sandwiching square
        propulsion tubes for gurgle-gurgle boats between layers, but your
        information provides a second reason for using the bread and butter
        method to build small working models of old wooden steamships.
        Your file "CLERMONT-POPULAR MECHANICS.PDF" provides a third reason
        because it has plans and instructions for building a model of the
        Clermont with thin upper and lower sections "bread and butter" again.

        Best wishes, Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "northriver07"

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2006

          I found an image that shows lofting lines and part of a hull that fit in
          with the previous posts about bread & butter construction and staining
          layers to give the appearance of a planked hull. The bit about jam is not
          a suggestion for staining layers with jam. It's about a jam that I'm in with
          AT&T which I will resolve by looking for another Internet service provider
          as soon as my AT&T connection is turned off today, or maybe tomorrow.

          Best wishes, Frank

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@...>