Re: Suggestion for development of a second pop-pop poster child boat

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27 12:01 PM
      Hi Paul,

      The little wooden "popflea" was our first poster child. Richard Jenkins built it after reading a magazine article about the use of square tubing for boilers that do not require coils. There are several photos of the popflea (photos section) and a PDF with the title: article_ModelBoats_4-96.pdf (files section)

      Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "lordbthry" <lordbthry@...> wrote:

      > What was the first pop-pop poster child boat?
      >
      > Paul
      >

      > > --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Frank McNeill" <frankmcneilll@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi All,
      > > >
      > > > I believe the time has come for us to consider development of a second pop-pop poster child boat and would like to nominate Fulton's Demologos steamboat for modeling consideration. There has been a lot of rancorous discussion about the use of bow rudders that could be eliminated by voting for a steamboat that had four bows, and presumably, four bow rudders. The name "Demologos (voice of the people) might be changed to "Vox Populi" or "Vox Pop-Pop Populi" (voice of the pop-pop people.)
      > > >
      > > > old Frank

    • Sparks, Matthew - McClatchy Corporate
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27 2:20 PM
        Did a lot of research on the demologos when I designed it for a paper
        model series of Fultons ships.
        http://www.delta7studios.com/fulton.htm

        From this I learned that Fulton ,while a genius had absolutely no idea
        about hydrodynamics...
        The Demologos would have been more aptly named Wallowing Pig.

        It went just as well forward as back, which is to say very very poorly.
        It carried just enough fuel so that it could make it out under power to
        the area where the winds were brisk enough to cause it to lose headway
        then it ran out of fuel... and would usually have to be towed home...

        It had 4 rudders, to to act as steering and two that basically acted as
        speed brakes...

        Still it had a spiffy paint job!

        Matt Sparks - McClatchy-

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28 9:44 PM
          Hi Matt,

          Thanks for sharing the results of your research. Your description of the Demologos reminded me of a guy who lived next door to my family when I was a kid- except for the rudders and spiffy paint job.. ;-)

          old Frank