Horizontal Gurgle engine

  • northriver07
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006

      Frank,

      Your engine looks remarkably like the boiler section of the Fulton engine...coincidence?

      If we could run the output tube into an internal turbine mounted on the same shaft as the paddle wheels we could have a pop-pop CLERMONT. The actual boat had a split shaft. We could take some liberties for the sake of this one.

      They did sell the STD pop-pop boats at the Steamboat celebration at the Clermont Historic Site. It would be interesting to try to put a prototype Clermont pop-pop together for next years 200th anniversary celebration. Initially we could forgo the turbine and remote controls schemes. It would be a fun project to say the least.

      Is there anyone interested out there? Respond if you might be.

      Pete

      P.S. I posted a photo of the Clermont water garden during last years visit. We plan to attend next years big to do. (www.friendsofclermont.org)

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 26, 2006
        Hi Pete,

        The resemblance was an intentional "coincidence" I suppose, because
        the interior of the boiler is just about the only place where a
        pop-pop engine could be concealed in a model of the North River Boat.

        old Frank

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "northriver07"
        <georgeyyy@...> wrote:

        > Frank,
        >
        > Your engine looks remarkably like the boiler section of the Fulton
        > engine...coincidence?
        >
        > If we could run the output tube into an internal turbine mounted on the
        > same shaft as the paddle wheels we could have a pop-pop CLERMONT. The
        > actual boat had a split shaft. We could take some liberties for the sake
        > of this one.
        >
        > They did sell the STD pop-pop boats at the Steamboat celebration at the
        > Clermont Historic Site. It would be interesting to try to put a
        > prototype Clermont pop-pop together for next years 200th anniversary
        > celebration. Initially we could forgo the turbine and remote controls
        > schemes. It would be a fun project to say the least.
        >
        > Is there anyone interested out there? Respond if you might be.
        >
        > Pete
        >
        > P.S. I posted a photo of the Clermont water garden during last years
        > visit. We plan to attend next years big to do.
        > (www.friendsofclermont.org <http://www.friendsofclermont.org> )

      • northriver07
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2006
          Frank,

          I thought so. An engine of this design would be relatively easy to
          fabricate. The "boiler" could be made out of copper pipe, fittings
          and caps. Fulton's original boiler was copper plate. The size to
          accommodate gurgle tube(s). I know nothing of the square tube
          design; size and how to form to the correct diameter. What is the
          smallest diameter that could be coiled without kinking the square
          tube? How many turns? Check valve source etc.? The rest I can handle
          either myself or with friends at work.

          To start I would probably even make the boat out of copper or brass
          sheet. It is readily available and easy to work with (cutting,
          forming & soldering). I would most likely make the paddles free
          wheeling. There is a pix of a paddle pop-pop in the photo section
          for ideas. What do you think? Would you like to try to make a proto-
          type?

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 27, 2006
            Hi Pete,

            It might be simpler to build models with conventional diaphragm type
            pop-pop engines. The largest commercially available engine is reported
            to be the one used in Rattandeep Enterprise's 15-inch long "Titanic,"
            which is available in kit form. The engine and a burner or candle
            holder could be hidden under a hollow tin thing designed to resemble
            the boiler, firebox and smokestack.
            The current home page image was based on dimensions provided by the
            Popular Mechanics PDF file with instructions for building a small
            model of the Clermont. You might scale the dimensions up for a wooden
            model that would probably look more like the real boat than a copper
            or brass model would. Another advantage of wood is that it doesn't
            sink the way that little tin boats do.
            Check with Richard Jenkins for information about the tubing he used to
            build "Popflea" if you decide to build a radio controllable engine
            with four boilers.

            best wishes, Frank