Experimenting with pop-pops (was Re: There Were Thirty-Nine of Us)

  • Richard Jenkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19, 2006
      Building an experimental boat doesn't really require a
      major wood working project. The original hull that I
      used to test Popflea's engine before I built the
      wooden hull was nothing more than a piece of aluminum
      foil roughly formed by hand into the shape of a boat
      hull.

      Of course with your four-boiler concept, you'll also
      need some kind of mounting plate to keep the four
      boilers and damper control mechanism in alignment.

      One of these days I'll need to dig out those old Model
      Boats articles from the mid-1990's about pop-pops,
      scan them and throw them up in the files area. There
      was also an article in Steam in the Garden magazine in
      the last year or two about building a Kitchen rudder
      for speed/reverse control on a single-cylinder
      steamboat. Eventually I'll get around to trying one
      of those on a pop-pop.

      Richard Jenkins