Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Radio control pop-pop boats

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 26, 2006
      Hi Chuck,

      I will field that one because I think I know the
      answers.
      The late Peter R. Payne, mentioned in the pop-pop
      pages,
      is reported to have experimented with pop-pop boats
      large enough to ride in. There's an image of a patent
      with a diagram of the engine he probably used, a lot
      more complicated than the engines in little tin boats
      though. Dustin McMillian, owner of Buzz's Boatyard,
      reported that he built a boat with the kind of RC
      stuff
      hobbyists use and equipped it with three pop-pop
      engines. The largest of the tin pop-pop boats made
      in India and sold by Buzz is the 15-inch long
      "Titanic."
      The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
      equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
      12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
      as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
      with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
      ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
      With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
      for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
      There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
      by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
      posted a link to the American Stirling company to
      provide an answer to how small can they be.
      There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
      hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.

      Best wishes, Frank

      --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@...> wrote:

      > Hi;
      > I went to the informational links and read up on
      > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
      > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
      > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
      > boat?
      > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
      > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
      > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
      > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
      >
      > Chuck Duggie

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • buzzsboatyard
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
        Hi Frank, et al. I'm Buzz from Buzz's BoatYard and I can help you
        find a lot of information on pop pop boats. Chuck, you are quite
        right about that huge pop pop boat. But, Frank is correct... I have
        had no problem installing r/c equipment in the Titanic I sell.... or
        in the Super Tug. The tug is 10" LOA and features one of the largest
        pop pop engines made today. You won't set any speed records, but with
        one of our new "super candles", you can get up to 30 minutes on one
        candle. We've added ingredients to slow the burn, and they really work
        well. It is also very easy to build your own ships and use another
        type of steam engine that will propel the boat. I'm speaking of a
        coil boiler "water recirculating" engine, which I also make. The coil
        boilers are silent. I copied the engine design of the first ship ever
        made by Sutcliffe Pressings in England. The coil boilers are made from
        copper which I anneal and then bend into 4 or five coils. These
        boilers include a long set of exhaust pipes, so you can place them in
        the best suitable location. While I do prefer the pop pop engine
        because of the noise it makes, the coil boiler is guaranteed NEVER to
        burn out unless you try to power it with an acetelene torch. <grin>
        \
        For those have never seen one in action, I invited you to visit my
        website. Once on the site, look on your left side and click the "Movie
        Theater" link. There are several videos of a very few of the boats I
        stock and sell. I have at least a dozen more new types of pop pop
        boats which I just brought through customs....and another shipment due
        in from India on Monday. I will try to get the pictures up quickly.
        If you want to get more information on how the engine runs, click on
        the bold links on the intro page on my site. I have tons of
        information to share, so if you have questions about these little
        wonders... feel free to ask me and I'll try my best to give you the
        information you need.

        Frank... this is a great idea! I hope we can draw more people into
        the group here who are interested in them or have questions. I'll post
        some pictures as we go along. Pop pop engines date back to the 1800's
        . I'd love to hear some project ideas. Right now I am building a wood
        shrimp boat 10" long with a large pop pop engine in it. There is
        plenty of room for R/C. I can also help out with the r/c stuff as I
        am trying to finish my "cheaprc.com" site now. Here's the url to my
        boat site. Feel free to leave feedback or ask questions. I can get pop
        pop boats as small as 4"... they are called "Mini-Pops".

        Buzz
        Buzz's BoatYard

        www.buzzboats.com

        --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Frank McNeill
        <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

        > Hi Chuck,
        >
        > I will field that one because I think I know the
        > answers.
        > The late Peter R. Payne, mentioned in the pop-pop
        > pages,
        > is reported to have experimented with pop-pop boats
        > large enough to ride in. There's an image of a patent
        > with a diagram of the engine he probably used, a lot
        > more complicated than the engines in little tin boats
        > though. Dustin McMillian, owner of Buzz's Boatyard,
        > reported that he built a boat with the kind of RC
        > stuff
        > hobbyists use and equipped it with three pop-pop
        > engines. The largest of the tin pop-pop boats made
        > in India and sold by Buzz is the 15-inch long
        > "Titanic."
        > The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
        > equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
        > 12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
        > as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
        > with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
        > ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
        > With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
        > for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
        > There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
        > by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
        > posted a link to the American Stirling company to
        > provide an answer to how small can they be.
        > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
        > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
        >
        > Best wishes, Frank
        >

        > --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Hi;
        > > I went to the informational links and read up on
        > > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
        > > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
        > > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
        > > boat?
        > > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
        > > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
        > > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
        > > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
        > >
        > > Chuck Duggie
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low
        > > PC-to-Phone call rates.
        >
        > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted
        all the alternatives."
        > Sir Winston Churchill

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • buzzsboatyard
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
          Hi Chuck,

          This is Buzz from Buzz's BoatYard. I posted a few minutes ago but I
          don't see it anywhere now. You can certainly put r/c equipment in a
          pop pop boat. I do it from time to time. If the other message I
          replied to would show up, it would answer a lot of your questions.

          I carry pop pop boats with very large engines in them.. and I have
          installed r/c in the Titanic and in the Super Tug. I am also working
          now on a wood pop pop powered shrimp boat which will have plenty of
          room for r/c gear. As for the Stirling engine, yes.... I can find you
          a lot of varieties of small ones that run off the heat of a cup of
          coffee. The problem is, the small ones are very weak in power. They
          develop enough power to turn the engine components, but I don't think
          the small ones would be able to power much more. Feel free to ask me
          any questions about poppop applications. You can view some of them
          running in my pond if you go to the "movie theater" link on my
          website. The website is at:

          www.buzzboats.com

          Thanks,

          Buzz

          --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, Charles Duggie

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
            Hi Buzz,

            That report that I et al isn't true, I got out of the cannibalism
            scene several months ago and never ate anybody named al
            that I can recall.
            Thanks for the new information. I knew that you were working
            with radio control, but didn't know until now that you have
            installed r/c equipment in the pop-pop "Titanic." Rudder control
            I assume, and possibly one of downsized systems that several
            suppliers offer in addition to standard stuff. Please consider the
            possibility for using a refillable butane candle lighter some time,
            rather than a candle, and take a gander at that pipe with the
            built-in lighter while humming that tune about what happens
            when the lovely flame dies and smoke gets in your eyes.

            Best wishes, old Frank

            --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "buzzsboatyard" <buzzsboatyard@...>

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 29, 2006
              Sorry about this Buzz,

              but I zipped past the reference to the "cheaprc.com" you're
              working on. Please post a link to it in our links section when
              it's ready for prime time viewing. We already have a link to
              Buzz's BoatYard. If you enter thenes link as Cheaprc.com it
              should show up close to the one for the BoatYard. Thanks
              a bunch for coming on board because posts have suddenly
              shot up from almost Zilch to Zowie!!

              wrote:

> [...]
              > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
              > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
              > >
              > > Best wishes, Frank
              > >

              > > --- Charles Duggie <mineadmiral@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi;
              > > > I went to the informational links and read up on
              > > > pop-pop boats. I don't know if these boats could be
              > > > made large enough to carry radio control gear. How
              > > > big can a pop-pop engine be? Can you put 2 in 1
              > > > boat?
              > > > As far as Stirling engines , I have to read up on
              > > > them. But I believe there are Stirling powered
              > > > submarines in at least one of the Scandanavian
              > > > navies. Could these engines be miniaturised?
              > > >
              > > > Chuck Duggie
              > > >

              > > > ---------------------------------
              > > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low
              > > > PC-to-Phone call rates.
              > >
              > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

            • Donald Munsey Jr.
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
                Buzz,

                KOOL Boat!

                Now you've got my interest and I can bet there will be a few others interested in your cheaprc program.  There is a faction of the On30 Model Railroad community, led by Woodie Clyde Greene of the Texas Outlaws On30 group, that is rebelling against layout wiring and track cleaning. They are converting their locomotives to self-contained, battery powered R/C units.  I'm a remote follower and have several S/Sn42 and 1:24 R/C locos in the works (I use many of the same mechanisms the On30 crowd does).  The current source of choice for the R/C electronics for these conversions is the Kyosho Mini-Z 1:24 R/C autos with digital proportional speed control (As yet the steering channel is not often used - however - there are lot's of creative folk into R/C trains - so who knows).  At about $100 a pop (cheaper occasionally on e-bay) the Mini-Z racers are a bit pricey, but still very much affordable.  Your $60 R/C speed boat peaques my interest!  Here are a couple of questions:

                1.  Can you slow the boat down to operate something like a tug boat (I want a 1:24 river tug for my garden railway)?  In other words, Is the speed controller proportional, or full forward only?

                2.   What is the size of the electronics and battery components for this boat?

                3.   Can they be physically separated?

                4   Can they be purchased separately?

                5.  Can different boats be operated simultaneously?

                6.  Is there a rudder in this boat (2nd channel), or is directional controll accomplished by differential thrust applied to the port and starboard engines?

                That's all I can think of now.

                Keep in touch.
                Don Munsey, Jr.
                dmunseyjr@...
                Sn42 and Hn42 logging fan
                Virginian Rwy fan
                Bonsai grasshopper
                Living in the UpperRightCorner of Louisiana.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                  Oh, no big deal. It isn't much to look at right now. The boats are
                  fun.... but I'm really hooked one one of the r/c planes! Seems like
                  the day flies by so fast I just don't have the time to do all the
                  things I'd like to.

                  <frankmcneilll@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > "Titanic."
                  > > > The smallest R/C boat I know of with conventional
                  > > > equipment is the "Footy," so called because it's just
                  > > > 12-inches long. A pop-pop engine can be as simple
                  > > > as a length of copper tubing 3/32" diameter or so,
                  > > > with two or three turns of coil at the center and two
                  > > > ends sticking out somewhere below the water line.
                  > > > With enough heat, a boat could have a dozen engines
                  > > > for just slightly more than one engine would cost.
                  > > > There are still a lot of questions to be answered,
                  > > > by folks on pop-pop-steamboats perhaps. I just
                  > > > posted a link to the American Stirling company to
                  > > > provide an answer to how small can they be.
                  > > > There's a photo of one resting on the palm of a
                  > > > hand and powered by what must be a warm hand.
                  > > >
                  > > > Best wishes, Frank

                  > > > "Americans will always do the right thing... After they've exhausted

                • buzzsboatyard
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Thanks, Don... it really is a screamer. But no, it is not
                    proportional. It's full on when you hit the throttle. I had to learn
                    to stand beside it instead of behind it when I hit the throttle after
                    getting soaked a couple of times. <g> It is differential thrust.
                    If you're thinking of putting this in something small... it might not
                    fit as the radio is a bit large. I really think, for the money,
                    that the Specktrum DX-6 radio is the best for the price. It transmits
                    and receives on 2 channels... no glitches. The receivers are also very
                    small. I'd better shut up, because I think there is an article coming
                    out soon in Steam In The Garden magazine. Look for it... I use one
                    now and it is incredible!

                    --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Donald Munsey Jr."

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Hi Don and Buzz,

                      There is another way to slow the "screamer" down by using props with
                      a flatter pitch. Guys on the tugsandtows group started making their
                      own props after discovering that props made by using fixtures to
                      twist the blades of props cut from flat metal worked just as well as
                      custom made props designed to look like those on real tug boats.
                      Flat blades wouldn't provide any thrust, so it seems reasonable to
                      believe that a very slight degree of twist would provide a very
                      slight degree of propulsion and speed. Maybe that's why I have so
                      much trouble propelling myself out of bed these days.