Re: Bending Square Tubing (was: USS Monitor)

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7 6:34 AM
      Hi Ken

      You apparently have not visited the group to search for posts about square tubing, or to visit our photos and files sections. If you had, you might have found photos of the little wooden boat Popflea and a pdf file of a magazine article that inspired Richard Jenkins' use of square brass tubing for a square tube horseshoe engine with superior performance over boats with coiled round tube or diaphragm boilers.

      Frank

      --- In pop-pop-steamboats@yahoogroups.com, "Sailboat Modeler" <sailboat.modeler@...> wrote:

      > All are excellent suggestions and work very well on tubing (which by definition is round in cross-section). Every solution I've ever seen for bending tubing shares two common features:
      >
      > 1) You fill the tube with "something" to support the shape of the walls while bending (sand, wood, heavy springs), and
      > 2) You use something round approximating the final desired radius so as to distribute force evenly across the radius of the bend.
      >
      > It really is more of a stretch of the outer radius than a compression of the inner radius, at least when its done right ;-)
      >

      > Square 'tubing', as the original question specified, cannot be bent sharply without catastrophic deformity; mild deflections can be introduced directly to the material, but would not be useful in our application.
      >
      > Instead remove a wedge of material, gently file away the rough bits, re-align the duct, then flux and solder. I leave one face intact to act as a hinge and provide a solid base for the joint. Be sure to make your cuts plumb. Voila!! One nifty, angled square tube. It is very much like making a picture frame, only without all that wood smell...
      >
      > Corners of any desired angle can be made.
      >

      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Ken

    • Sailboat Modeler
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7 8:40 AM
        Yes, it would seem that a trip to the archives is in order. Embarrasingly, that is something I usually do when joining a new group so as to avoid just such an unpleasant moment as this.

        Thanks to all for your delicate reminders, I shall be doing a bit of reading over the next little while and will limit my future posts to those that are of certifiable worth or are simply inquisitive in nature. Apologies to all for missing the mark so widely, hopefully someone was at least wryly amused by this...

        Regards,

        Ken Berry
        Captain, SS "Chagrin"

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7 9:24 AM
          Ken,

          Please continue any and all of your pop-pop posts & questions. I doubt
          that any of us can recall all that is in our archives. Old Frank does
          better than most and can usually point you in the right direction.

          No matter how simple the questions they frequently spark an idea or two.
          What's that saying? "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask"!

          Pete

          <sailboat.modeler@...> wrote:

          > Yes, it would seem that a trip to the archives is in order.
          Embarrasingly, that is something I usually do when joining a new group
          so as to avoid just such an unpleasant moment as this.

          > Thanks to all for your delicate reminders, I shall be doing a bit of
          reading over the next little while and will limit my future posts to
          those that are of certifiable worth or are simply inquisitive in nature.
          Apologies to all for missing the mark so widely, hopefully someone was
          at least wryly amused by this...

          > Regards,
          >
          > Ken Berry
          > Captain, SS "Chagrin"

          Monitor)

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7 9:45 AM

            I was reading one of the posts on gmail when I sensed a draft of warm air on the back of my neck and realized that Google was looking over my shoulder to read my mail in order to post a related sidebar ad.
            Go to http://tinyurl.com/adtbpa for Google's latest contribution.

            Old Frank