Re: Hello!

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
      Hi Cory and David,

      Go to http://tinyurl.com/bk8rxx for something friend Google found a while back when Daryl and I were discussing burners.

      Frank

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
        sccfan4 wrote:

        > I do have a few questions though. Have you any ideas for making oil
        > burners? Preferably easy to make, cheap, easy to find resources
        > etc... I found that candles leave lots of wax which is annoying. :)

        You can make a very simple oil burner with a copper pipe cap (3/4" or 1"
        size is probably about right) and a short length of brass or copper
        tube. Solder a suitable length of the tube to the inner size of the
        cap, leaving 1/16" or so clearance at the bottom (so oil can get into
        the tube), and make a wick to go into the tube from cotton string or a
        rolled up chunk torn from a paper towel (for extra sophistication, you
        can stuff a small piece of copper mesh into the tube on top of the paper
        towel and make an easily replaced flame holder with cotton twisted from
        the end of a swab). Fill with olive or corn oil (I've been told not to
        use canola, supposedly due to residual toxins -- canola is processed
        from rapeseed oil, which is poisonous before processing), and light.
        Use a needle or toothpick to tease the wick out when it needs replacement.

      • Richard Mundy
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
          Hi all,

          I favour Slaters birthday candles. I made a little holder from a tinplate 'spoon' with a short length of brass tube soldered on. Works a treat with quick candle changes. Can experiment with increased power by making holder with several bits of brass tube to hold more candles.

          Another possibility is to use the solid fuel tablets for Mamod or Willesco steam toys. These are readily available and not expensive. They may provide too much heat for a small boat though and, if the engine dries out, solder may melt!

          Dick