Re: [pop-pop-steamboats] Hello!

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2009
      From: "sccfan4" <fanof48@...>

      > Have you any ideas for making oil burners? Preferably easy to make,
      > cheap, easy to find resources etc... I found that candles leave lots of
      > wax which is annoying. :)

      Corey,

      Date a well-groomed Archaeologist - small oil lamps were how the Roman
      Empire was lit, and billions of little clay and metal burners lie smashed
      in landfill. And millions more decorate the bathrooms of modern Woman.

      Here is a tiny soldier's lamp in clay:
      http://frysingerreunion.org/uk/wales2181.jpg

      It has a one-piece body, a filler funnel in the middle, a wick hole at the
      left and a cool pinch-grip at the right. One of the classic design
      masterpieces of all time.

      Use - guess what? - lamp oil. And the same smelly-goods shop will sell you
      a wick if you have no soft string. Candle wick - available from craft
      shops - will serve too, and can be had with little metal "feet" that
      stabilise the wick.

      With a very small boat, you can use the actual hull as the body of an oil
      lamp.

      Use OIL not spirit if you value your hands and eyebrows. While spirit lamps
      work much the same way, spilled spilled on water can flash into a broad
      flame in an instant.

      I've been trying to go in the other direction, and to get better use out of
      a candle. My reason is that small children can upset a pop-pop easily in
      their excitement, and spilled oil can contaminates the bath / paddling pool
      / clothes in a way that spilled wax doesn't. Also some oils can continue to
      burn on the surface of water - even without a wick - while wax instantly
      solidifies and stops burning. On the other hand, the molten wax in the
      burner is a scald hazard.

      I have built some simple wax-vapourising burners, but none safe, compact
      and reliable enough for a small pop-pop.

      For a long duration with a small boat, I have successfully poured molten
      wax into the hull and used it as a candle. A puddle of molten wax forms
      around the wick, with the solid wax forming a container. Be aware that the
      molten wax can flash into a big flare up in some circumstances - again a
      technically minded girl on the team will very often have practical
      experience with candles - usually scented ones.

      David Halfpenny
      England
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
        Hi Cory and David,

        Go to http://tinyurl.com/bk8rxx for something friend Google found a while back when Daryl and I were discussing burners.

        Frank

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
          sccfan4 wrote:

          > I do have a few questions though. Have you any ideas for making oil
          > burners? Preferably easy to make, cheap, easy to find resources
          > etc... I found that candles leave lots of wax which is annoying. :)

          You can make a very simple oil burner with a copper pipe cap (3/4" or 1"
          size is probably about right) and a short length of brass or copper
          tube. Solder a suitable length of the tube to the inner size of the
          cap, leaving 1/16" or so clearance at the bottom (so oil can get into
          the tube), and make a wick to go into the tube from cotton string or a
          rolled up chunk torn from a paper towel (for extra sophistication, you
          can stuff a small piece of copper mesh into the tube on top of the paper
          towel and make an easily replaced flame holder with cotton twisted from
          the end of a swab). Fill with olive or corn oil (I've been told not to
          use canola, supposedly due to residual toxins -- canola is processed
          from rapeseed oil, which is poisonous before processing), and light.
          Use a needle or toothpick to tease the wick out when it needs replacement.

        • Richard Mundy
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2009
            Hi all,

            I favour Slaters birthday candles. I made a little holder from a tinplate 'spoon' with a short length of brass tube soldered on. Works a treat with quick candle changes. Can experiment with increased power by making holder with several bits of brass tube to hold more candles.

            Another possibility is to use the solid fuel tablets for Mamod or Willesco steam toys. These are readily available and not expensive. They may provide too much heat for a small boat though and, if the engine dries out, solder may melt!

            Dick